Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1964 Lincoln Penny Found In Coin Roll

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 481Next Topic  

United States
27 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2021  7:42 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Derfsup to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm new to this and I'm not sure if I found something good or interesting. It's a 1964 Lincoln penny.it's copper weight is 2.56g it's thinner than the the penny should be and smaller it's more like a dime in size and thickness. Would this be a mint error or how would you classify it

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
2145 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2021  7:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Funny they are still out there. Back in the day people would grind them down to dime size to cheat the vending machines into thinking it was a dime being inserted. That's actually pretty neat to find one now a days......
Valued Member
United States
363 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2021  7:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did you find it in dimes or cents? You made me curious with this coin.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58039 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2021  8:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cut down deliberately for some unknown zany reason.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1693 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2021  8:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Yep grinder coin. The person didn't even take the time to clean up the edges after grinding it down
Collecting since 1972. Learning from then on
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
My Dansco 7070 type set coin count: 31/76
My Dansco 8176 Eisenhower dollar Album coin count: 36/36
My Dansco 8166,8167 Kennedy half dollar Album coin count: 198/198
My Dansco 8140,8143-8147 Washington quarters Albums coin count: 423/423
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
2145 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2021  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The person didn't even take the time to clean up the edges after grinding it down

C'mon, obviously was "Jonesing" for a sugar rush - probably ground it down on the spot - LOL!!!!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1693 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2021  9:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
C'mon, obviously was "Jonesing" for a sugar rush - probably ground it down on the spot - LOL!!!!

alright, I'll give you that.. he probably NEEDED those milk-duds badly

EDIT: Me personally it would Neco wafers....
Collecting since 1972. Learning from then on
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
My Dansco 7070 type set coin count: 31/76
My Dansco 8176 Eisenhower dollar Album coin count: 36/36
My Dansco 8166,8167 Kennedy half dollar Album coin count: 198/198
My Dansco 8140,8143-8147 Washington quarters Albums coin count: 423/423
Edited by Dearborn
05/09/2021 9:05 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
5965 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2021  9:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Post mint damage ( PMD), grinder damage as mentioned above.

to the CCF!

ša va bien aller

Pillar of the Community
United States
4287 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2021  9:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Classic grinder--with a vengeance.
United States
27 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2021  9:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Derfsup to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found it in a cigar box full of penny rolls that my mom had roled up I'm guessing in 1971 because that's the latest date 59 to 71 coins
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2021  9:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KoinKurious to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Never heard of grinder coins before. That's awesome.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
2145 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2021  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
personally it would Neco wafers....

OH!!! Gotta be.......
Valued Member
United States
359 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2021  12:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IsThisAnything to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I find a few of these awhile back but just thought were some non specific PMD. I'd probably keep one just for now. I love a good bit of cultural history and that one only costs one cent.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51550 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2021  12:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A damaged coin is just worth face value. Of course the classic way to damage a coin?
SfJ690jMdUw

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 481Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05