Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1900 P Morgan Dollar # 277 . Opinions And Comments Welcomed

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 425Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
529 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2021  09:48 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add KauaiHawaiiGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I picked this up last week in an eBay auction. It's just a common year Morgan, but it looked pretty clean in the sellers photos and now that I have it in hand and photographed it myself, I like it. It's rather weakly struck but pretty clean fields and devices. But like always, I'm posting this to hear what the CCF think .......
So what is your opinion and what grade would you give it?

Pillar of the Community
United States
8231 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2021  10:34 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Might squeak into MS65, except for the rim hits on the reverse and the hits on the eagles breast. MS64
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Pillar of the Community
United States
1268 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2021  10:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
3239 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2021  10:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some light hairlines, AU-58 slider for me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
529 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2021  11:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KauaiHawaiiGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Zurie

Quote:
Some light hairlines, AU-58 slider for me.

Well I'm no expert, I'll be the first to admit that, but this coin has no visible hairlines in hand to the naked eye. Under extreme magnifications I can see a very small area around the "NE DO" on the reverse. That's the only area on the entire coin that has any hairlines, and barely at that. I'll post a large blow up of that area. I'm guessing that it must be at least 25x magnification to see this.

ANA grading standards would not even consider this small amount and small area in grades as high as MS-67. Here's the link to that. https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/ana...oins-4041821

So I am curious how you could give this a cursory 58 slider?

But I am here to learn, so if I am misunderstanding something, misreading something, please educate me. Thanks in advance .......
Pillar of the Community
United States
3239 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2021  11:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On your photos, I see some light hairlines on the lower face, neck, and scattered on the reverse fields, not from cleaning, but possibly from circulation rub. Although the strike is weak, I also think there's a trace of wear on the breast and leg feathers, and in the lower hair. The luster is nice, but not booming like a high MS coin. You have the coin in hand, and that's always better than photos, but it looks like a strong AU-58 to me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
529 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2021  12:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KauaiHawaiiGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You have the coin in hand, and that's always better than photos,

Well I'm not going to post enlarged extreme magnification photos of every area you mentioned, but I have looked at all areas under extreme magnification myself including her chin/cheek, and this is an MS coin, no rub, possibly some mishandling like sliding it into and out of a less than clean flip, paper holder or into a case, but there is no circulation wear that I can detect, a weak strike yes, a few contact marks on the eagles breast and her nose, yes, even those few hairlines, but I believe that this Morgan is still MS.

I suppose we'll just have to disagree on this one, I see it as a 64 as did the other two commenters. You might be right, I'm just not so sure that on this one you are. But like always, I appreciate all comments, even those I may disagree with.
Edited by KauaiHawaiiGuy
05/10/2021 12:31 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10338 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2021  12:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the 1900(P) are known for average strikes. this one is a tad short. quite a bit of flatness around the ear and the breast is fairly flat. so AVG- for strike. luster looks broken on both sides. surface preservation is AVG+ with a couple scrapes and scratches here and there. the cheek is not bad. Eye appeal AVG. there are some white round surface spots to the right of the right wing and also some on the bottom of the obverse.

based on the photos presented I think the coin saw some circulation AU58
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
596 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2021  2:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Difficult one for me to grade I'll be honest. I always have a long look before I read any comments that have been made, and at first I thought this is absolutely AU55 no higher. Then I saw the first comment at MS64 and I thought what? how? I didn't realise the strike was just a bit weaker than I'm normally used to looking at.

So, it seems an average strike, no breast feathers. It has no major marks, just a few cuts to the nose. The lustre looks bright. I think it is a slider. I think on a good day it could make MS63, and on a bad AU58. Big range sorry I can't really help much.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59376 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2021  2:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm at AU-58 on this one.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4739 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2021  2:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If my memory holds true, when you first joined, you posted some 200 + Morgans...If that's true, I'd say nice pick-up and ....Always good to add to your stack...
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Pillar of the Community
United States
529 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2021  2:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KauaiHawaiiGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's not often I disagree with a few opinions given here from the CCF family, but I sure do this time.

Just for the heck of it I went over to see some recent 1900 P Morgan sales in MS-64 at Heritage, and I'm posting just a couple of enlarged areas from this 64 that sold only 3 days ago. If you think my Morgan shows any more wear than this, then where? If you think a couple of small milk spots can downgrade a coin from MS-64 to 58, then really? A weak breast and legs ...... can it get much weaker then this 64? If you think that my Morgan has more hairlines than this 64, well then I don't know what to think. And if you think my coin has any less luster or broken luster than this 64, well it doesn't, lighting is not an exact science.
https://coins.ha.com/itm/morgan-dol...bnail-071515
So to finish this reply, if you see the one I posted as a 58, my my, what will you do to this PCGS graded 64?

Edited by KauaiHawaiiGuy
05/10/2021 2:38 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
8231 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2021  4:38 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think from the photos posted your coin is a MS64 not a + but towards the top end of 64, per my first call, and the Heritage Auction coin is also a MS64 but on the absolute low end of MS64, lots of scuffs but nothing so deep or distracting at arms length it would go MS63 either.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Pillar of the Community
United States
3239 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2021  5:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I looked at the high resolution photos of the HA coin you posted, and it's absolutely mint state. You can argue whether it's a 64 or 63, but it's clearly mint state. Although your coin has fewer marks on the cheek, I think there are signs of light circulation in the photos. Absent that, it would probably be a solid 64. You have the advantage of seeing the coin in hand, and I've certainly been wrong before. Either way, it's a nice coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
701 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2021  9:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do not see wear but lots of little scratches I will say MS-63
Valued Member
United States
310 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  10:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add psuman08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I first looked at this one I thought AU-58. I agree with Zurie's comments. Again, having it in hand could yield a different opinion. It is still a nice looking dollar!
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 425Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.4 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05