Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1805 Large Cent VF30 Details

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 1,664Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
193 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  9:35 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Matthew23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Wanted to see what y'all thought about this coin it's corroded but still has lots of detail they are asking $215 and is the grade correct. Thanks

Edited by Matthew23
05/11/2021 9:39 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9822 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  9:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is the 5 recut or something? Anyway, I kinda like it but it;s your money.
Lots of early copper are corroded. Outside of the holder it might resell easier? That word corroded is very harsh.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Valued Member
United States
193 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  9:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Matthew23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also what do y'all think it's worth, sorry for the small images couldn't get it to work right.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9822 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  10:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably straight vg10 to fine levels in my opinion.
I don't know if the 5 possibly being re-cut is a variety but that caught my eye.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Edited by TNG
05/11/2021 10:03 pm
Valued Member
United States
193 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  10:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Matthew23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To me it looks better than vg or fine way more details.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1158 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  10:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Overall, a nice looking early type cent. Personally, I'd snag it for half the value of one straight graded. I also agree with TNG, the word "corroded" scares buyers aware rather quickly. As for an accurately graded coin, appears to fit the photograde standards.
ANA member
PAN Member
BCCS Member

There are no problems only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Edited by Ballyhoo
05/12/2021 10:21 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3925 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  11:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thought I'd shed some light on the pics to better see the surfaces ....

IMHO, NGC overgraded this one, and corrosion is too harsh a term. IMHO, it's at F-15 / VG-10, net F-12 with a moderately grainy surface. I'd be inclined to free it from that holder, despite the "VF" grade.

While I don't see it as bargain-priced I do like the coin. It displays fine, fairly even detail, with no major detractions. If taxes and shipping inflate the price, I'd pass and shop at shows for a lighter shade fine or better, lacking surface issues. That said, if it had a good counterstamp on it, I might jump at the price!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3073 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  11:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice looking details coin at a fair price. I would make an offer at $200. As noted, the holder does not add any value when reselling.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17433 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  12:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's an S-267 so yes the 5 is repunched.
Gary Schmidt
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59413 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  12:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Indeed attractive for a details coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8243 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2021  4:19 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin for what it is, I think Verdi-Care would help improve it's look. Crack it out too, of course to treat it you need to crack it. I like the little ANACS holders the best of all the TPG holders (second would be the SEGS holders for the top label), due to how small they are. But in the EAC world not much emphasis is placed on a TPG slab anyways.

I think the price is fair as it is. These have been selling for $450+ in non detail VF grades according to PCGS auction results. So it's at half off a non details coin already. At $200 or less it's a no brainer.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Pillar of the Community
United States
3925 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2021  5:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IMHO, Westcoin's analysis is spot-on, sage advise.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59413 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2021  5:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I always worry about what the surfaces beneath the corrosion will look like after using Verdi-Care. Sometimes they look improved, but sometimes the contrast between the revealed surface and the surrounding surfaces can be unattractive.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 1,664Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.32 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05