Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Old Banker's Scale With Weights For Doubloon And Other Denominations

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 1,516Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Canada
197 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  11:43 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add flanders8008 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A neighbor asked me to help him understand more about this item that he has. It's a scale (he called it a banker's box but when I googled that I came up with cardboard boxes for storage so I'm not entirely sure what to refer to it as..) with weights for various numismatic denominations such as doubloon, half doubloon, etc.
He was also wondering what sort of value it would have and where/how to go about selling it.
Has anybody got some insight into this? TIA

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60763 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  11:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's very cool!
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2485 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  12:12 pm  Show Profile   Check alganbagerap's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add alganbagerap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a hand held beam balance. Its portability possibly means that it was used by a money changer who moved between venues.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7345 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  12:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wish I knew more to help, but all I can say is how amazing this item is! Old scales, brass weights, and a wooden chest...can't beat it!
The slabbed Half dollar No FG farce: Download No-FG half vs. Grading Company Claims report here:
https://tinyurl.com/yalrstjz or higher resolution version: https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
2145 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  1:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can put your pictures on an Antiques forum I'm on, maybe someone there would have some info - let me know if that's OK with you before I do anything.
Learn More...
United States
103793 Posts
Valued Member
Canada
197 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  2:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add flanders8008 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Rothery - Yes please that would very much be appreciated!
Pillar of the Community
United States
8342 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  2:52 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Heritage Auction sells these occasionally. In searching most seem to sell in the $150-225 range. This one looks quite complete and very nice.

The most interesting part is the weights which look complete. Is there any type of makers name anywhere? Stamped on the scale itself or the weights perhaps?

Did find this site that has hand balance scales:
https://www.gilai.com/cat_66/Equal-Arm-Scales

This site has many much older coin weights but a few might fit the same era as this set:
http://www.colchestertreasurehuntin...nweights.htm

And an interesting British Numismatic Journal on Coin Weights (PDF):
https://www.britnumsoc.org/publicat...BNJ_6_14.pdf

The GR stamped in the square weights is for a standard English weight I believe not "Grams" it is always with the crown.

Another PDF paper on counterstamps on coin weights This one might have what you are looking for, lots of illustrations of each marking on the weights and mapping to where they are from and who made them:
http://www.herberthistory.co.uk/use...sh_isles.pdf
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
05/12/2021 3:18 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
2145 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  3:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Yes please that would very much be appreciated!

OK, It's posted, I'll let you know what happens.......
Valued Member
United States
305 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  5:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pistareen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Many such scales and weight sets were made, but it is the coin weights that give this set special value. I guess it dates to the early 1800s after "Eagles" were minted yet back when foreign coins circulated as legal tender. Does it have any paperwork with it?
Valued Member
United States
305 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pistareen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking again I don't see a Sovereign weight which helps bracket it's issue time between about 1800 and 1820. It may have had a paper label with current exchange rates on the inside upper lid that has since disappeared. All the coin weights are for gold coins so this needed to be an accurate set.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8342 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a much more valuable scale due to the compete coin weights, they make the set's value. I'm guessing mid to late 1700's on the date of the set. Obviously the ropes are newer, and not original, they also look too thick, I'm betting the original used chains, and that boxed aluminum weight set was added long after it was originally made.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
2145 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  8:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK, not much info offered on site, most people had sent me Personal Messages with the details I offer: The signature is ink and may have been the name of the owner who actually could have made the case. The scale itself looks newer than the brass weights and would look more time period if you replace the blue fibre hangers with chain. Could be a "Put together item" like they do with "Vampire kits" - May bring about $200 because of all the brass weights - unless these types of scales can be verified as antique and original then there isn't really a big market for them. Best of luck!
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2485 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  10:50 pm  Show Profile   Check alganbagerap's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add alganbagerap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hold on. Some weights are stamped GR, Georgius Rex. We had quite a few kings called George but considering the history of Canada, those weights are from either the reign of George II or III.
Considering that there are,inter alia, Moidore weights in the set, Georgie 2 looks like the better bet.
Ignore the Aluminum weights, they don't belong with the rest of the kit. The balance itself may well be later, but there are collectors out there who will bid heavily for such a complete set of weights.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
2145 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  11:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The balance itself may well be later, but there are collectors out there who will bid heavily for such a complete set of weights.

Having to prove they are real first - Remember - so many fake coins out there, why not fake brass weight standards. What makes me suspicious is the engraved names on each brass weight. It just looks too perfect
Pillar of the Community
United States
8342 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  03:22 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I typed the GR was not for Grams, I didn't mean to imply it was another weight measurement, I meant to type it was generally marked after a particular ruler, of course Georgius Rex (the II I think as well).

Thanks for pulling that out of what I was trying to convey alganbagerap that is what I was implying but my words were really jumbled and incoherent. That's why I was thinking the date is late 1700's of course, only if it's found to be real and not counterfeit that is.

I also agree the scale is not quite right for that weight set, though the plates look okay the handle part doesn't fit, nor do the boxed weights and the newish hook in the box along with that blue cord.

I wonder what's under the green carpet? Is there a hole for a center post (originally not a hand held) balance scale? That would be more period correct as well I believe. The box interior is somewhat crudely made yet the little squared off areas seem newer, cut with a fine miter at exactly a 45 degree angle and added in with glue not dovetailed as would have been done in the 1700's or even early to mid 1800's. The bottom fabric layer would have been more likely velveteen instead of what there is now, or just left as plain wood.

Edited by westcoin
05/13/2021 03:23 am
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 1,516Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05