Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1885 Bern Swiss Shooting Thaler

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 269Next Topic  

United States
8 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  2:14 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Deezdrama to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Recently picked up this 1885 Bern Shooting Thaler for a great price.

I want to have it graded/slabbed but never have had coins graded before.
I started in 2015 just stacking silver bullion but have branched into collecting some numismatics and lately really been loving these Swiss Shooting Thalers. I have several that Ive bought graded but never went through the process.
It seems like it would be simple for a modern US coin but it being a world coin from 1885 and being considered a medal but still has a denomination value I'm just confused.

PCGS requires membership...what about NGC?

Any tips/suggesstions?

Thanks!
Edited by Deezdrama
05/14/2021 2:13 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58081 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  6:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can we see the other side?

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5882 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
PCGS requires membership...what about NGC?

Yes, NGC also requires a paid membership in order to submit coins/medals directly to them.

The first tier membership (Associate level) is $25 per year. Here's a link to details about their various membership tiers: Joining NGC

Note: NGC offers a free membership tier, but it does not include the ability to submit coins/medals.

Are you an American Numismatic Association member ( ANA)? ANA members can join and submit coins/medals to NGC without having to pay for an NGC membership. It is a benefit of ANA membership.

If you plan on making submissions on a regular basis, it's definitely worth joining either PCGS or NGC. If you only plan on one or two submissions a year, you might want to locate a dealer near you who submits on a regular basis and work through him/her.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
05/13/2021 7:28 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18529 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  7:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Th somewhat equivalent Swiss equivalent to collecting U.S. Half Dollar Commemoratives.
And it will take you almost as much as a lifetime also, to build a nice collection of them.
Congratulations

If you already own slabbed Shooting Thalers, it would be consistent to get this one graded also, if for no other reason than they can all be stored and displayed together.
A slab album page would be appropriate.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7212 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  8:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I want to have it graded/slabbed but never have had coins graded before...Any tips/suggesstions?

If you like slabs just to like them, then go for it.

But realize a lot of slabbed coins cost the owners more than the coin is worth to get them slabbed. So if you are after profit eventually, do the math first.

Nice looking coin
The slabbed Half dollar No FG farce: Download No-FG half vs. Grading Company Claims report here:
https://tinyurl.com/yalrstjz or higher resolution version: https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4138 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2021  09:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The premium paid by buyers of slabbed world coins/ medals is very little compared to slabbed US coins. So I am doubtful that it will be profitable for you. Also, and it might just be the light, but this item appears to have been dipped/ cleaned which will be a negative when it comes to slabbing.
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2021  2:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Deezdrama to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Sorry.... Heres the reverse

Yeah I wondered if it was cleaned, but for the price I paid for it I will be happy to just have it authenticated/slabbed even if I only get a details grade.

China is making fakes of these.... I learned the hard way
http://goccf.com/t/390214

But I did get my money back and after more research found out theres 2 variants (well 3) of the clone coin and they all are artificially worn - probably because they couldnt get the details right on the fakes and/or was just easier to mint them worn and have it be more believable.
This one is definately legit I believe, the fake one threw red flags at me instantly.

Anyway, I have 3 or 4 more thalers, one old, 2 or 3 more modern ones that I would like graded, not for profit but just for my collection. No plan to part with them anytime soon.
I mainly buy bullion but get the itch every once in a while for numismatics, I'm enjoying the hunt for these shooting thalers and have a collectors info book on these coming (not much info online).

So... back to grading, is the NGC membership a yearly reoccurring charge? or can I just become a member this one time to get these coins graded and let the membership lapse after a year?

Should I use the "early bird" service that is for all US and world coins with up to $3000 value for $38.....

Or just use the "economy" service for value up to $300 for $22?

Im not sure how to estimate value, from what Ive seen sell on ebay and what Ive read I would estimate somewhere between $300-500 unless it got a mint state grade.
Should I just go with early bird on this one to be safe?

thanks!
Edited by Deezdrama
05/14/2021 2:12 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 269Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05