Coin Community Family of Web Sites Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors
Specializing in Modern Numismatics Vancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer 300,000 items to help build your collection! Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin AuctionsRoyal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

2003 Illinois Quarter Error

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 2,442Next Topic  
New Member

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2021  7:20 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Nectsta to your friends list Get a Link to this Message Number of Subscribers
Hi, I'm new, and apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong spot and/or leaving out basic information. Today was our daughter's last day of kindergarten, and to celebrate we wanted to go to the arcade afterward. While going through a collection of spare change, I found this quarter that appears to be a 2003 Illinois State Quarter with a giant bulge on George's head. Kind of creepy actually. At first I assumed someone had damaged it this way on purpose because it's just so strange to me, but the reverse side seems to be normal... As far as I can tell. This is seriously dirty money though. I set it aside, and I can't stop thinking about it. I've been searching for more specific information about it and similar defects, but I'm not finding much because I don't know exactly what I'm looking at. I was going to clean it up, but if I have something interesting, I don't want to mess it up. Does anyone know anything about this or where I can get more information about it? Thanks so much for your time and insight!

2003-Illinois-Quarter-Error
Bedrock of the Community
Coinfrog's Avatar
United States
94367 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2021  7:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please show much larger images of both sides, taken straight-on and right-side up.



to the CCF!
Moderator
Learn More...
John1's Avatar
United States
56855 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2021  7:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. Looks like some kind of heat damage,camp fire...house fire.
John1
New Member
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2021  7:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nectsta to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I apologize, I think I might have jumped the gun! I brought it under some better light, and after some more searching, I think this might be heat damage from fire or something? I'm sorry...
Moderator
Learn More...
Spence's Avatar
United States
34562 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2021  9:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@nect, first welcome to CCF. Second, I agree with you and @john1 that this is a so-called "campfire coin".
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
Earle42's Avatar
United States
10065 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2021  10:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Extreme heat damage.
How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Download and read: Grading the graders
Costly TPG ineptitude and No FG Kennedy halves
https://ln5.sync.com/dl/7ca91bdd0/w...i3b-rbj9fir2
Moderator
Learn More...
jbuck's Avatar
United States
196100 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 2,442Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to rattle this change. Forums