Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1806 Colonial 8 Reales Adopted Into US Currency At The Time? Help Me Out!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 582Next Topic  
United States
45 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2021  5:43 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Malfredorivas333 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Pillar of the Community
United States
3925 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2021  7:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

As the subject piece isn't a U.S. coin, I'm guessing that this post should best be in a different category.

That said, world coins freely circulated here from colonial times and well into the 19th century. My counterstamp collection clearly evidences this fact. It contains hundreds of world coins that were stamped by U.S. merchants; this, often done with intent to promote word-of-mouth advertising. The Coinage Act of 1857 largely put an end to world coins, predominantly from Spanish speaking countries, being used here to accommodate trade.
Valued Member
United States
304 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2021  8:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pistareen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure what your question is but I think you are asking when coins like this circulated in the United States? Spanish colonial milled dollars were the worlds preferred silver currency before the United States formed. When the Mint at Philadelphia was new it could not make enough coins for commerce, even by 1806, with the population of the United States growing fast. Your coin followed the standard that Jefferson chose for his decimal coinage. It was legal tender in 1806, despite the Congress looking to demonetize foreign coin as early as 1797, but not having enough coins to really do so until the brink of the Civil War. When specie payments resumed after the war, your coin would have been demonetized (not directly exchanged as money) in the US, but of great value to international trade. Most were exported or melted to make Victorian silverware. During the Great Depression when banks failed, their vaults were searched and old coins discovered. Back then your coin would have sold as good silver, but at a discount from a full US dollar. Did I answer your question?
United States
45 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2021  9:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Malfredorivas333 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You guys are extremely helpful sorry for the dumb questions about coins I'm not a expert obviously lol but I'm trying to put it in the right category google isn't much help when I dive into the rabbit hole lol but just curious my dad passed away and when I was a kid he was really into collecting coins but I forgot all about it and just recently got his belongings and want to certify anything worth anything in his memory since I know he loved it. Thank you all for being so helpful I appreciate it any info is good for me. I'm actually flying out of the u.S to sign his belongings over to me in a month so I know there thousands more coins over there too lol xthnx again everyone. I noticed he has a log of shiny good conditions pennies from The 50's to the 80's anything in particular I should look for? Dates or something? Or where can I find that info? I want to continue his work so I want to know all about it let me know!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3925 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2021  01:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ Malfredorivas333 ....IMHO, your "question" wasn't dumb, it was unclear and awkwardly posed. It sounds like you're overwhelmed, and that's understandable in light of the situation you're in. Many a collector has family members and heirs haven't shared his hobby interests. I'm one of them.

I'd suggest that you acquire A Guide Book of United States Coins by Yoeman. That will help you identify the few rare cents. The most costly ones in that era tend to be mint errors, and there are pics of them in the book. You might consider joining a local coin club and visiting some shows over time. This will help you find knowledgeable and trustworthy collectors and dealers as resources.

Over time, pursuit of these resources and participation in the CCF will help familiarize you with the terms needed to frame your questions. Bear in mind that there are many rare coin varieties out there. Being able to identify the rare ones can save a colloctor many thousands of dollars over time.

Enjoy the quest .... I have!
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18710 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2021  01:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
8 Reales was a World circulation coin.

It was used in the currencies of many countries around the World, in late 17th and early 18th centuries,
in at least on a temporary, and sometimes a more permanent basis.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8230 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2021  07:57 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You might take a look for this book if foreign coins like this interest you as to America's early colonial coinage.

http://goccf.com/t/382003

Not a cheap book by any means but very interesting and quite through covering so many various Spanish, Dutch, French, Portuguese, Irish, etc. coins that circulated here in America. These definitely circulated around the United States as well.

A great free to watch video from the Colonial Coinage Collectors Club (C4) and done by one of the best speakers around John Kraljevich, he covers all the various coins that circulated in early America colonies, and does so in a fun and interesting way.

BASv_LFkDcI
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Learn More...
United States
101920 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2324 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2021  3:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks pretty good, but there are many worrisome raised bumps on the reverse that look like casting. Maybe the mods can move this over to Foreign Coins to get the right experts involved.

Even without that, the coin has minimal wear and should weigh 27.0-27.5 grams. Over or under that is a concern.

Here's a certified 1806 Mexico 8 reales for comparison.

https://www.numisbids.com/n.php?p=l...822&lot=1198
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Edited by thq
06/07/2021 4:08 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17427 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2021  01:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It was legal tender in 1806

But not until after April 10th. The legal tender status of the Spanish milled dollars conferred by the Act of Feb 1, 1798 had expired in 1801. It wasn't renewed until the Act of April 10, 1806.
Gary Schmidt
United States
45 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2021  10:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Malfredorivas333 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You guys are good!!! Lol love the history that's awesome I got something of history like that. The actual value isn't important but the feeling of having a legit graded or just praised coin is priceless to me so thnx guys! Weighs 26.83grms!:)
Pillar of the Community
United States
8230 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2021  11:06 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
love the history that's awesome I got something of history like that.

Yep you're not going to find many coins that have quite the history of the Spanish Reales "dollar" they circulated all over the world as to confirm the Spaniards superior ship building and sailing skills from that time. I don't have any in my collection currently but I have a feeling that won't last long, these are some of the neatest coins around, in the "silver dollar type coin" circulating category. I'll probably go for something a little earlier in the 1750-1780 era myself. I also love the similar Peruvian Pillar dollars.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Pillar of the Community
United States
1154 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  11:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spanish coinage, especially 8 reales, would most definitely circulated well into the 1800's. What few understand, that in 1803 Thomas Jefferson ordered a stop of one dollar coinage due to a large quantity being exported and the beginning of silver rising to above it's face value. And commerce needed all they could get their hands on with a nation exploding in both population and industry. Lot's of it needed to pay workers for all that rail line alone.
ANA member
PAN Member
BCCS Member

There are no problems only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 582Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05