Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1922 Peace Dollar Grade Rim Question

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 399Next Topic  
United States
40 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2021  5:22 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add dcas55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone,
Please give me an idea of a grade for this 1922 Peace dollar also any opinions about the rim on the obverse about 11:00 between the I and B in Liberty. Thank you all for your help.
dcas

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2109 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2021  7:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First,

The rim damage is on both the obverse and reverse. My best guess is that the coin was removed from a jewelry bezel. I believe that the coin would receive a details designation (98 code, damage), rather than a straight grade.

Others will be along in a while to weigh in here, and may see it differently.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2616 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2021  8:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can we get a shot of the edge of the coin (just the area in question). I think it may have left the mint this way, solely based on the fact that there is also weakness shown in the portion of LIBERTY closest to the rim. Fields in the surrounding areas look un-disturbed. Strike weakness? Tapered planchet? No idea, but it reminds me of some of the Braided Hair Cent strikes.

Just thinking out loud.
Pillar of the Community
United States
751 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2021  10:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smat45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not quite sure of a jewlery peice myself...but who am I to question FC
Nice looking girl here...no major surface gouges...typical for a big coin...a little bit of chatter on the obverse...and a little ding (just me being picky) on the reverse eagle.
I like her...
A solid MS-63...but 64 would not surpise me either.
smat
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59224 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2021  10:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a puzzler. Sending out the Dr. coop signal.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4739 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2021  11:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful strike...I like it... rim issue both obv and rev....
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10321 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2021  08:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i think it left the mint like that also but have no clue how it occurred. I would think it is related to the die collar during striking. as Ty2020b stated you see something similar on the old coppers.

weaker strike both sides as the higher devices are sharp and those closer to the field are mushy. as for grade, MS63 good shot at 64
Pillar of the Community
United States
528 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2021  10:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KauaiHawaiiGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not to sure what went on either, but it's more than just a bezel that could have caused this.

I enlarged the coin and up in that whole area from the L to the left side of the R appears to have been hammered nearly flat. Notice how the rays in her crown and the letters are nearly flat near the rim and then get progressively fuller towards the bottom of each letter. That's not from clamping in a bezel.

Could this have happened in the original strike, I don't know, but looking at the indentation on the rim over the "E" it almost looks like something was laying across the rim and the letters an then struck very hard to flatten out that entire area.
24 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2021  10:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 44dovers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Someone tried to make a coin ring but stopped?
Pillar of the Community
United States
9807 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2021  11:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My initial thought was tapered planchet as mentioned above by Ty. What does the reeded edge look like in that area?
1883-O Nut
Pillar of the Community
United States
4562 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2021  11:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I find it extremely unlikely to have suffered damage that is being described without also showing inculpatory evidence. The coin is in excellent shape which is atypical of coins that are previously bezeled. I believe this is nothing more than a minor strike through of die polish/ grease. These strike throughs can also affect the rim of the coins similar to this Peace dollar: http://ec2-13-58-222-16.us-east-2.c...rse_Slab.jpg

The damage above the "E" is just incidental

Edit: It could also be a minor tapered planchet as previously mentioned, either way I'm fairly certain this is mint caused
Edited by Adam_E
06/07/2021 11:13 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1835 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2021  11:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My first thought was a collar or die alignment issue, because of the raised metal along the rim at UNITED. I've seen that a bit on Barber dimes, particularly from New Orleans, with weak strike in other areas. I didn't consider ex-jewelry though.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1261 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2021  3:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Massively Dipped, looks almost someone used silver paint on it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2109 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2021  8:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The more replies I see, the more I think @Ty2020b nailed it.

The indentation on the obverse and reverse rim is interesting. Something pinched the coin pretty hard at that point. That could well be later damage, but it took a lot of pressure to do that.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 399Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05