Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Roosevelt' Dime Flaw .

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 944Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  01:08 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Blamjam to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello, not sure what year this is, it's says 197.. I cannot read that last number. Any idea on what this dime has on it? Would this be a mint flaw, or maybe something added after by accident? Any idea on a value?

Valued Member
United States
356 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  01:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scuba1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF
Other than looking like Roosevelt is wearing some 'Beats'...... there is nothing worth value to this Dime, it looks barely still worth 10 cents. Whatever happened to this coin was after it left the mint. This is true Post Mint Damage.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  01:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Blamjam to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How can it be damaged after being mint, it seems to have extra material printed on it on one side. The "tails" side of it does not have any kind of indentation for the "heads" side to have that extra material in the center of the coin. I would think that if it was indeed damage that there would be signs of damage on both sides of the coin would there not be?
Valued Member
United States
356 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  01:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scuba1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bottom line is that it is a damaged coin. Who knows what caused the damage. It is PMD without a question.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2253 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  02:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SamCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just PMD. Unless this was the year that Frieza took over planet earth and replaced all the busts on US coins with his own image?
My best finds:
1996 DDO-001/FS-101: http://goccf.com/t/372066
1995 DDO-001/FS-101: http://goccf.com/t/376071#3225244
1972-P DDO-008/FS-108: http://goccf.com/t/405558
2000-D Maryland Quarter Rotated Die http://goccf.com/t/394553
1988-P "Reverse of '89": http://goccf.com/t/399390
Massive strike through error on 1957-P Jefferson nickel http://goccf.com/t/402781
Bedrock of the Community
United States
41260 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  04:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. It is PMD,it did not leave the mint like that. How it happened after it left the mint does not matter, and only the person that did it really knows.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61567 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  09:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
Valued Member
United States
214 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  11:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oddguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
looks like it has been filed around the dome so I think the dome top is the original width of the coin
Pillar of the Community
United States
7447 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  11:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
How can it be damaged after being mint, it seems to have extra material printed on it on one side.

Understanding how coins are minted explains this easily. Try to find a video on this and you will see there is no way something like your coin could happen during the mint's coining process.

As to extra material "printed" on it: coin planchets are not put together by building up material. Planchets are all stamped from a sheet of metal similar to the way a handheld paper punch works to make small circles punched out of paper.

What your coin seems to show instead is that every place on the coin except the center is worn down with abrasive marks.

This means every part but the center was ground/sanded down on/with some device. The obvious "raised" center was where the abrasive was not being applied, it was the normal height before the surrounding sanding away of the surfaces around it.

Tat center portion could very well have been where the person doing the damage was holding the coin. I can imagine someone could duplicate the looks of this coin by holding it in the center and using a dremel tool with a grinding bit attached. Grind some area away, rotate, grind more, rotate etc.

Why would someone do this? Why not? People do all sorts of strange things when they have time on their hands.

Quote:
" The "tails" side of it does not have any kind of indentation for the "heads" side to have that extra material in the center of the coin. I would think that if it was indeed damage that there would be signs of damage on both sides of the coin would there not be?

Nope - not in the above scenario.
How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  12:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Blamjam to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How can it be damaged after being mint, it seems to have extra material printed on it on one side. The "tails" side of it does not have any kind of indentation for the "heads" side to have that extra material in the center of the coin. I would think that if it was indeed damage that there would be signs of damage on both sides of the coin would there not be?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
12006 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  12:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coins are not printed, bank notes are printed, coins are struck
Please believe what you are being told by many knowledgeable collectors. It can only be an error or damage.
An error can only occur during the striking of the coin. As there is no way that what you have happened at that time,
the alternative is it is damaged, no matter how it happened.
If you are still insistent that it is an error, you can waste your money and send it off to be graded.
I assure you that it will come back bodybagged.
Edited by JimmyD
06/13/2021 12:25 pm
Valued Member
United States
202 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  12:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numiscrat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like there are grinding/cutting marks going around it. That would not happen during striking. If you saw a picture of vehicle on the moon, would you propose that they drove to the moon? Of course not. You can't get there by driving, and so it is with actual mint errors. The appearance of that dime is not a destination that can be arrived at by the minting process alone.

Instead of "extra" metal, I bet metal is missing and that this dime is a bit underweight. And damage can certainly be on one side only.
Edited by Numiscrat
06/13/2021 12:52 pm
Valued Member
United States
202 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  1:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numiscrat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just now noticed that the core appears to be showing through above the raised area. More indication that the raised area is not extra metal. Rather,, metal was removed post minting, leaving a raised area.

How and why it was done, no one may ever know, although I agree with what Earle proposed as one possibility. It has been around for over 40 plus years. It has passed through many hands, some directed by sound, nondestructive minds, and others, well...
Edited by Numiscrat
06/13/2021 1:04 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
7447 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  1:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Since you reposted this directly after I answered all those questions I am assuming you don't want to hear you won't be rich off of this non-error, simply damaged coin?

Or you did not read what I posted. Either way...you came here for answers and got them.

Go ahead and waste the money sending it to a grading company to have them tell you the same thing. Just make sure to learn from the experience.
How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Valued Member
United States
431 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  2:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This coin was held up to a belt sander and spun around. The pivot point was the center of the obverse. The center didn't get sanded down, it stayed the origanal thickness. You can see the inner core of copper. Probably weighs less than 2 grams.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53977 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2021  4:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like it was squeezed with a washer, leaving the raised area in the center of the obverse. PSD The weight should be normal. Just a damaged coin. Probably a bit wider than normal.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 944Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05