Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1883-1884 Carson City Nixon Advice And Pics

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 695Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2021  6:43 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 999Jcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi Friends, I have these two coins and I think they're worth around $300 each based on my beginner's level research in the last two days I've spent, but now looking for expert advise before I sell them.

Thanks, happy to give more pictures if needed.

Google picture album -

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59331 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2021  6:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These images are not sharp and bright enough to grade. Please try again, and separate the two coins into separate threads to avoid confusion in the replies.

to the CCF!
Edited by Coinfrog
06/16/2021 6:53 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2634 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2021  7:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tough to judge surfaces with these pics. Of course value will be affected by grade. At a minimum, $300 for GSA is actually a bit low for these two, from what I can make out of the pics. I'm no expert with these though, others will chime in.
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  08:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 999Jcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Frog and Ty for the welcome... and the feedback on the pictures. I'll try to get sharper, brighter pics today. I was using a high end camera with a prime lens. Do you guys find success just using an iPhone camera? I thought I was upgrading the pictures by using my actual handheld camera.

Be back later...
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10332 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  09:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

the iphone 10 or higher has a camera that can take outstanding shots. it can be a challenge getting sharp photos through any holders but in this case it is what it is. change your lighting as it needs to be a little brighter. taking a photo of an angled coin can hide certain surface issues so if you are going to post angles photos I suggest including straight on as well. if you cannot get sharper photos without reflections eliminate any overhead lighting and go with natural indirect light. it takes some playing with the coin and lighting to get decent shots

what I can see based on these photos is that both of these coins are typically above average to boldly struck. the 84 looks like it fits in that box but the 83 looks a little short with some flatness around the ear and eagle breast. when you get a little sharper photos i'll be able to give a better assessment of the surfaces. in any case you have two nice CC Morgans and most likely worth more than $300 you are stating.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9827 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  09:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those are a couple of nice looking GSA Dollars. Many tend to be very baggy whereas these are not.
One thing I did notice is your COA for the '83 is actually a COA for '82.

As far as taking pictures of coins there is a very good photography section that is second to no other coin site in my opinion. If it takes pictures someone has probably posted results and recommendations. http://goccf.com/f/81
1883-O Nut
Learn More...
United States
101988 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1066 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  10:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ham1947 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum. I was a collector of the GSA CC Dollars a few years ago. The 82's ,83's, and 84's are by far the most common. The photos are difficult to put an accurate grade on the 2. Varying grades will put different monetary values.
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  11:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 999Jcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm gonna try some Youtube video links at 1080 60fps. Wish me luck
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  12:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 999Jcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's the '84

mHXSrhogY3w

zyJKkWyxKaU
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10332 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  1:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the vids are good enough for me to give a close enough grade on. luster is for the most part all there. the reverse surface preservation is good. the only issue would be the lighter than normal strike on that side. the reverse would grade MS64+. there a couple of decent frames on the obverse where we can see the cheek much better. its a little more marked up then the original photo showed. the obverse I would put in the MS63 bucket. I think I need to put this one in the MS63 bucket. maybe a + on the end of it. I think the obverse will hold the coin back from making 64. still a nice coin with a retail value in the $425 range.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
594 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  1:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After looking at that video, it seems to me the coin would grade about an MS64 or maybe even higher. As a sale price for this coin I believe you could get $400 as a minimum.
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 999Jcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's the 1883

front

Epjlq_SQtq8

back

pN-iQOL8fDY
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3436 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  1:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would say $250-$275
Pillar of the Community
United States
8230 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  3:46 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think they are both borderline MS63 coins, which would put them at retail at just over $400/each. I personally wouldn't take less than $375.00 in the current market, these prices have been going up rapidly lately, but over the past month the have leveled off.

Check out http://www.numismedia.com/rarecoinprices/fmv.shtml for a good free pricing, they have a GSA Morgan section and show MS62 coins at $432.00 assuming that includes all the original government packing, box, card with CC date matching, then you should be good to go. Remember these prices are more akin to a retail price if a brick and mortar dealer is selling them. Also check eBay for GSA CC sold prices, You could always get them graded at ANACS in the GSA holder or NGC (if you are an ANA member) at a reasonable cost, I only send super high grade coins (which these unfortunately are not) to PCGS as the cost is much higher. ANACS is a reasonable cost for the service yet they don't seem to bring the same value on coins graded by NGC or PCGS. MS63 the price increase to $470.00 if the 1883-CC is a VAM 4 then you can add on another $20 in value at least.

http://ec2-13-58-222-16.us-east-2.c...883-CC_VAM-4

Still some nice coins to have, not super rare, this may be a good time to take advantage of the high market value and sell, you could always get more if the price falls again, though the price could keep going up - who knows? If I knew up or down I wouldn't be needing to work at all LOL.

EDIT: I see you do indeed have the original packing stuff, it does look like one of your certificates is the wrong date though, not a huge deal, I personally don't care about them, but others do. (I remember cracking these out at a coin shop I worked at in the mid 80's by the hundreds, we tossed all the boxes and certificates too.) Make me cry as the boxes sell for $5.00 and up. Your certificate is dated 82 on the 83 coin.

Sorry I had to edit the pricing, I originally typed in way too much at $482.00 when it should've said $432.00 @ MS62, but check the FMV numismedia site, click on the price to bring up a graph of the pricing for near grades over a few years. Oh, by the way a big to the CCF that is quite the intro coins to show up with!
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
06/17/2021 10:42 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4051 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  6:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Look like decent MS-63 quality. Always in demand, always in supply. Price has shot up quite a bit.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 695Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05