Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Culling Process That Most Use.

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 807Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
79 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  6:09 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Dowhat to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have at least a thousand or more cents to examine for varieties and errors. First I divide them into decades,then decades to individual years. When I start to look through each year,what are the first ones I toss?
It may be a variety or error, yet verdis(sic), or PMD,is not worth keeping.
How do you long timers preoritize your search,?

Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  6:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dowhat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Even though I come across something interesting that matches markers or description of Wexler,CC, Variety Vista, etc it the specimen in question question is ugly and beat up, just toss it? A grade of VF may be $1. A grade of beat up or dirty and nasty, give it back?
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18736 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lower valued multiple duplicates are the first to be culled.

I put 'star' coins (according to value} aside in a separate 'star' collection, that also includes pattern coins, French essai coins, and very obvious major errors.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6502 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  7:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Before I look up by year and errors/varieties, my first pass would be to divide Wheaties from more recent years, then into individual years. Every year could have errors. Personally I look at each coin, both sides, with a digital microscope, then if worthy of keeping, photograph with my iPhone 8's camera, then into a 2x2 it goes. Everyone is different however, so do what feel's right.

ša va bien aller

Valued Member
United States
280 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  9:39 pm  Show Profile   Check VestigeWolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add VestigeWolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I separate my wheat backs by decade and then mint mark and just go hunting. I too, throw back PMD, environmental damage, human damage and stained ones. Some I put in the garden because they helps keep slugs away. Also, the trace minerals are good for my plants.
Discovering the truth does not have all the answers.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1919 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will take out the wheat and search them. Then all the copper LMC go out and get searched. Then the rest is in 4 groups: pre2000 LMC, pre2008 LMC, 2009 (thereafter I keep them), and shield cents. I ignore shield cents if I am not in a great mood. But I usually in a good mood around my coins. By the way I find the wheat most fun.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3468 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2021  12:43 am  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I drop a pile of about 200 circulated wheats out of whatever bag or box they came in, and give each one about 3 seconds or so with an 8x loupe. If I don't see anything, I drop it in the cull pile or the good pile. I have to sell these off eventually, and I find collectors will pay a lot for a fully culled lot that hasn't had all the good dates and better grades removed, and will also often pay better than 2 cents a coin for cull lots although I do not know why. But as to the original question, while yes I look at every coin even the culls, it is purely because the way I get a lot of my coins they still have a fair number of 1909-S or 1914-D coins in there and I will pull the four key dates in any condition. Otherwise I would never look at a cull, as even a 1910-S or 1922-D is not worth finding in cull condition and just goes in that pile anyway.
Valued Member
United States
398 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2021  12:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IsThisAnything to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I always ignore LSC and feel unreasonably put upon by the nerve they have to dare show their face in MY coin rolls!

Jokes aside, for me, it depends on how busy I am with other things, sometimes I sort them out by year, but mostly I just keep a bowl by the phone so I can do something fun while I sit on hold. I have a list of the years I am looking for, but mostly I just scan them for errors.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52416 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2021  10:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If they coin looks bad enough to you, that you would not buy it? Then you know which ones to toss without even checking them. Any damage/discoloration/scratches and bent coins fit into that category. Also check the years on the sites to know what hub doubling and RPMs could be on them, as a heads up as to what to look for on them. It is just like traveling, you need to know the direction you need to go, before leaving home. Same with coins, know what to look for on them. No use wasting time looking for something that doesn't exist on those years?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2021  5:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dowhat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Greeting Eonce again and many thanks for your feedback
It seems that I am on the right track.With so many Lincoln's to go thru, breaking them down into individual year and researching the known varities for each year ishow I have searching.
After eliminating the non varieties,I the look through the batch for errors and rotation. Which means two times through multiple rolls of each year. Very time consuming. Especially with the 90's and 2000's with so many reverse varieties.
Perhaps the best advise from this inquiry was from "Coop". If it looks wrecked,move on. That will eliminate 75 percent of the coins. Especially post 82. I have many Wheaties that look betterthan most 2020's. Even if they are a little or slot worn. I keep almost all Wheaties and all copper.
Lesson learned, if I wouldn't buy it, toss it. Unless it h
Thanks againappens to be Big Daddy 1955. Iwuld keep parking lot or dryer coin of that one.
Thanks again. Plan to share some finds soon. After I figure out how.
Valued Member
United States
356 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  4:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scuba1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I keep almost all Wheaties and all copper.

I would KEEP ALL of your copper Cents, at least I do. Even if it is a cull or trashed up copper cent, why throw away one cent that is worth three to four cents? Unless it is an error or a very high mint state zincoln, I cull the zincs and keep ALL the copper.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6502 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  5:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
keep ALL the copper

I use to do this until I realised boxes of copper cents where taking over my living space! Being able to melt down copper isn't going to happen anytime soon. Not worth the effort if you ask me.

ša va bien aller

Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dowhat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry if I was not to clear. I do keep 100% of the copper.
May change my mind if I find myself running out of room but no worries yet.
My best finds so far are 1983 DDO-001,2000 DDR-32. 1983 SKH-1c-1983-40. Only toname a few.
Thanks again for your support.
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  6:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dowhat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Correcting myself again. I do cull really bad Wheat Ears just so others might find them and know that they are still out there. Keeps you searching I believe for that real nice one.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3672 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The only coins that I have enough to cull are Wheat cents. This is what I did.

I put the best coins in a Dansco album
The 2nd best went into a Whitman folder
I gave majority of 3rd best away
4th best was enough to fill a 1941 to 1975 folder

So I have almost 2 complete sets of wheat cents (only missing the 1909 S VDB in 1 set)

I do have 2 complete sets of 1930 to 1959 and 3 complete sets of 1941-1975

I still gave away probably 300 LWC with non being culls. Any that were below good or I had too many I just released into the wild.

With Indian Head cents I keep the best 2, everything else I give away

Edited by hfjacinto
06/19/2021 8:12 pm
Valued Member
United States
356 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  8:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scuba1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Being able to melt down copper isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Just for the record..... I never mentioned anything about melting down copper Cents.....
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 807Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05