Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1881 S Morgan 288 Opinions Appreciated - Better Pictures

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 579Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
529 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  10:43 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add KauaiHawaiiGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Got/won this in another eBay auction last week, The sellers pictures had it much more golden and I thought it had more toning than it actually does. Well it is what it is. The stripe down the coin looks to me like something was up against it for a very long time and that part of the coin darkened.

But I'm interested in what you think?

After the comment from slider I thought I'd post the original seller pictures to show that this coin has not been "messed with" as he said. I was just having lighting/photo issues when I took my own pictures. The sellers pictures show it's all original, no dipping. If this Morgan had been dipped to the line, it would be on the reverse as well. Pretty hard to dip only one side.

Edited by KauaiHawaiiGuy
06/19/2021 1:11 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3074 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  12:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am calling this one a slider 58 to 62. Do not like the terminal black streak. If you dipped the coin, the black streak has etched the surface. The coin does not look natural as it may have been messed with at one time.
United States
39 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  2:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Newby Numis to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay I am a Newby so any thing I say is suspect, but after someone indicated my coin lacked toning I started researching it. "Dipping" would be way less sophisticated than electrical/chemical toning. Here is a video on that type of toning:

GajkqaSr01c

Further more, just putting a silver coin into a closed container with a hard boiled egg over night will create sulphur oxidization and produce toning on a coin, so your point that the toning would have to be the same on both sides because it was dipped into a solution, I am sorry to say, just doesn't hold up. This is very worrisome as I do not see how I would be able to tell the difference. And someone is clearly a crook if they are doing these things.
N.N.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59457 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  3:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I lean toward a "slider" unc as well.
Pillar of the Community
United States
529 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  3:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KauaiHawaiiGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Newby Numis ...............

Quote:
so your point that the toning would have to be the same on both sides because it was dipped into a solution, I am sorry to say, just doesn't hold up

I think you misunderstand what dipping is. Dipping is not to tone a coin, dipping is to remove toning from a coin. The line would refer to someone dipping it in solution only so far ........ to the line, and that would produce a coin that has one part cleaned and de-toned and the rest intact. So dipping it into solution would be both sides of a coin to the same level.
United States
39 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2021  3:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Newby Numis to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see, thanks.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10358 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  10:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm at AU58 also. my first thought on the obverse was that something happened here that is not natural. if you look between the S and the cap the toning line is not straight on the last photo. to me it looks like some liquid was applied at some point. the other option I think was improper storage. the coin could have been stored obverse up with something covering the left half of the coin. tough call as to what caused this one.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
596 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  4:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Better quality photos needed for me to really judge, although the obverse looks to have good lustre and appears MS63 at a very minimum. I can't really tell without clearer photos.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
22479 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2021  12:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm leaning towards an MS coin but photos are just not sharp enough to get a grade.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1919 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2021  4:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ms details
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2021  11:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pmint1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hard to tell but I think choice unc (62 or 63) that had something partially laying on it for a time that perhaps got wet at one time causing uneven toning on the obverse.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 579Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.29 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05