Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1947 Jefferson Nickel.what Everyone Make Of It?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 615Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
11 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  08:27 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jason42728 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59479 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  09:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please show both sides of the coin, right-side up.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2340 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  09:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I think the coin is just circulation damaged coin.
And
with CoinFrog. Rotating the coins to properly display right side up give us a better view without tipping our heads over. You wouldn't mount a new big screen TV on it's side would you?
Collecting since 1972. Learning from then on
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
My Dansco 7070 type set coin count: 31/76
My Dansco 8176 Eisenhower dollar Album coin count: 36/36, My Dansco 8166,8167 Kennedy half dollar Album coin count: 198/198
My Dansco 8140,8143-8147 Washington quarter Albums coin count: 423/423
My Dansco 8113,8114 Jefferson nickel Albums coin count: not sure yet
Learn More...
United States
20092 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  09:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@jas, first welcome to CCF. Second, this nickel looks fire-damaged and then someone used a pin to try to scratch off the black residue.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52433 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  09:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Outdoor find. This one will probably loose the surface and look dull through out the rest of its days. Spender.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  09:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jason42728 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

United States
11 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  09:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jason42728 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was referring to "o" on jeffersons temple
Bedrock of the Community
United States
40138 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  09:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. For sure it is PMD. My first thought is a camp fire coin.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15614 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  11:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bet you found it at a fire sale .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59479 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  12:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree likely in a fire.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6520 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  12:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most definitely a fire damaged coin. Probably found in ashes of a campground (people throw stupid things into fires). Classic post mint damage ( PMD).
ša va bien aller

United States
11 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  1:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jason42728 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

United States
11 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  1:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jason42728 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your responses...this is what I was having questions about not the actual visual condition of the coin..thank you again
Valued Member
United States
301 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  1:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Other than the obvious poor condition, the first thing that struck my eye was the perfect "O" on the temple. Likely PMD and displaced metal as the O looks raised above the surface. Something such as a dropped letter would be struck into the coin and flat with the surface.
Valued Member
United States
308 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  2:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could have been an air bubble in the planchet, heated up differant than the metal. I would think it would be bigger than that. Fire does strange things to metal.
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  2:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jason42728 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree fire does do weird things to metals that's why a perfect o the same size and shape as in montecello seemed weird to me
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 615Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05