Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Seated Liberty Half Dollar 1853 P A&r Grade Request

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 646Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
26 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  02:40 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Bchill27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So this coin was my second purchase in the Seated Liberty half dollar realm. The first is in my only other post. I'm requesting grade analysis from any of the experts reading this! I'm a fairly new collector, and want to hone my skills, and learn what to watchout for.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
10338 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  10:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
your lighting is washing out the surface to determine originality. based on these photos UNC details (cleaned). present better photos for a more accurate assessment.
United States
26 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  12:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bchill27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry Panz. These are the photos I saved when I bought it. I'll post a picture from my phone, and it is cropped pretty severely, but I don't have any others. The coin is en route to PCGS. They will take TruView pictures and I'll share their feedback when these coins come back in 3 years. Lol.
United States
26 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  12:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bchill27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Here is the cropped image from my phone that I mentioned.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59356 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  12:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So no reverse pic comparable to this?
United States
26 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  1:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bchill27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unfortunately, no.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2639 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  3:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can't quite put my finger on how, but surfaces definitely looked altered to me. I think PCGS is going to call this UNC Details, altered surfaces.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8231 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  9:23 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Larry Briggs calls this one:

"Probably the most common year of the entire Seated quarter series, one could spend a lifetime, perhaps two, studying this year alone as 119 obverse and 120 reverse dies were made for usage."

Not unlike my beloved 1864 Two Cent coins. so many varieties to choose from and lots of interesting die cracks, breaks and cuds on them.

I can't even begin to come up with a guess on the variety but the grade I think I'm in agreement with Panzaldi and Ty at Uncirculated Details surfaces altered.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9817 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  9:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What happened to the toning I see in the first pair of images?
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8747 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  9:44 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU Details Surfaces Plated, Corroded
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/236574/
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Pillar of the Community
United States
704 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  10:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Heymikep to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
West coin, great info but this is a half dollar.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1541 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  10:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ploopy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU details, that pic of the obverse makes me think whizzed.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59356 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  10:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Something doesn't seem quite right, look forward to PCGS grade.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8231 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2021  11:04 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
West coin, great info but this is a half dollar.

DOH! In my defense I had the Briggs book open on my lap from the other two Seated quarters that the OP posted. I was concentrating too hard on the date position on the obverse, and had one eye on the Stanley cup playoffs. My grade still stands.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

United States
26 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2021  02:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bchill27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Regarding the "toning" in the first two images, I suppose the original seller had a warm-toned light on it for pictures, because it is straight silver in person. I see a comment stating this was possibly plated. How would someone plate a coin? I honestly never considered that, but if it is, I would think that plating happens a lot because The coin looked good. The coin appears normal under 40x illuminated loupe. Those die cracks do seem odd. Anyway, Ill be sick if all of my coins come back as altered, fake, details, or environmental damaged. I want the truth, though, and between the four coins I posted, I'm in it for approximately $5,200. That includes the PCGS grading/restoration piece of this. If the truth is that I was a dumb rookie, I'll reluctantly swallow that.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8231 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2021  03:11 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If the truth is that I was a dumb rookie, I'll reluctantly swallow that.

I guess we will all see when the coins and PCGS grades came back. I hope for your sake you do really well, and if not, it seems like you have a good attitude. However, not knowing your financial stature in life at the moment, (not trying to be nosey either). Spending $5K+ on a guess might not be the best idea either. Have you been working through a dealer or an advisor? That is what I'd suggest as there are so many real professionals in the coin business that earn every penny they charge in commissions. Experts in certain series know which coins to buy and NOT to buy, due to inflated population reports or insider knowledge.

Overall playing the rare coin investment game is a tough ride. I buy what I like and only spend real money when I know I can get out at any time without a real loss, but for my own fun collection I will overspend a bit (I don't go crazy overboard, maybe under $100 too much) on my Two Cent die variety/die paring collection.

In my past when I was a dealer I thought very differently than I do now as a collector, I didn't have the comfort of holding a coin for years at a time, most needed to be turned over within 30 days at the least, and 90 days at the most. As a collector I plan on holding my coins good and bad purchases long enough that I will probably not loose anything on a single one, but I'm talking 35-50 years of holding on to them, unless the market goes crazy and makes it obvious to sell.

The only time I sold my personal collector coins was to pay for my Dad's medical bills when he couldn't, and he had run out of insurance. I lost a ton, (actually I only lost a couple of thousand at the time), but because I sold them so early, I consider it as I lost a ton. At today's prices they would be at least 5-10 times or more than I sold them for. I bought from 1998 through 2004 and sold them all by end of year 2006). That was my MS and Proof 66 minimum Two Cent sets in PCGS or NGC holders, also including all the major varieties in MS 64 or better. I didn't have the Small Motto Proof (obviously) but had everything else. Most individual coins sold around $1200-$1500 then, they would sell in the $5K to $15K range today.

So that's my story, I only hope you do well on these, and if not, I hope it doesn't discourage you, look at what they would bring at the levels you thought they would after they come back, and stay the course, find a good mentor/dealer/advisor and keep going - but with a better strategy, look to auctions, not just locally, major shows, etc. There are very few raw coins left in the wild at dealers shops or on eBay and similar places that haven't been looked at and passed over by several dealers already. Finding the new stuff that hasn't been seen in decades is the real challenge or being able to ferret out the uncommon coins in the wild takes a special skill set, not many have. I think I had it once, but not any more. I've been out of the game way too long now.

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 646Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05