Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

USB Microscope? Or DSLR?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 794Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
160 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2021  8:49 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add DouglasFir to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey everyone, I'm looking to start photographing coins in my collection and I'm wondering what route to go here.  I already have a Sony A-100 DSLR with what says to be a macro lens.  I cannot however get it to focus at close distance to a coin even in manual focus mode. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? I'm thinking of just buying a USB microscope to make things simpler.  The ones I'm seeing are only 2 MP, is this adequate?

Can someone please recommend a good USB microscope that isn't really expensive?
Pillar of the Community
United States
8072 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2021  9:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the matter of the DSLR, the Sony would be capable of photographing a wide range of coins, from tiny to the very largest. You can always crop the image. Shooting in raw format would be best--that's my experience. The USB microscope--while nifty for capturing images of very small areas--would have great difficulty capturing a full, crisp shot of a large dollar coin.

What is the lens' designation (focal length, etc.)?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3240 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2021  9:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have both a USB Microscope and a DSLR camera. I have never like the images that I get with the $100 Microscope and only used it a couple of times before giving up. I love what the Digital Camera can do, but the big difference is cost. The Nikon camera I use as my prime digital recording device cost more than $4000 with the lens, equipment and editing software I use, but I use my camera for all kinds of photography, not just my coins.

I try not to use a camera that's under 10 megapixel. Anything less seems to get grainy when you try to look at the details.

ANA Member ID: 3203813 - CONECA Member ID: N-5637
"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime. All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time." Tom Waits-Clap Hands

Valued Member
Canada
160 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2021  9:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DouglasFir to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The lens came with the camera, it says on it 3.5-5.6/18-70 0.3m /1.3ft macro DT 3.5-/5.6 18-70
Is there just a setting I am getting wrong? I cannot get it to focus on close up shots of small items like coins. I've tried for quite a while, tried macro mode, nothing works.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1474 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2022  03:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coconutjoe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you have manual focus function, try that. Don't use auto focus because that usually don't work.
I have Canon EOS setup with pretty expensive lens, but I am going to try one of those USB 12MP or 16MP camera from Amazon. BTW, if anyone has any info on these USB cameras for 2022, please let us know which one you purchased.
Cheers~~
Pillar of the Community
United States
3431 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2022  3:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is possible to put together a decent USB microscope from components available on eBay or from companies like AmScope. I have built a few of these and they work well. AmScope software is "barely acceptable", but that's a lot better than the software that comes with most of the prepackaged scopes. You can get a 5-10MP (or higher if you are willing to pay more) microscope camera, and mount it onto a small microscope with focus capability. Get a decent microscope objective, like AmScope's 4x or something off eBay, and you have a fairly good USB scope. Cost will be in the ~$500 range. This won't be as good as a typical DSLR system, but better than a typical prepack USB scope.
Contact me for photographic equipment or visit my home page at:
http://macrocoins.com
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 794Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: