Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1878 Morgan CC - Repost As A Single Coin - Unusual Mint Mark

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 658Next Topic  

United States
27 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2021  08:35 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Greg250k to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
1878 Morgan CC - any ideas on grade? And this one has a high and wide mint mark. One of the marks is touching the wreath.

Pillar of the Community
United States
9950 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2021  10:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1883-O Nut
United States
27 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2021  4:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greg250k to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looked that one and then looked closely at the coin. Pretty certain you are correct. Not really sure what a VAM does to the grading and value (if anything).

Thanks!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2554 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2021  5:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It can improve the value but I do not think it affects the grading much. Thanks for reposting.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61514 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2021  6:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Grade, AU-55/58?
Pillar of the Community
United States
888 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2021  6:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
High AU, possibly low MS.
United States
27 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2021  7:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greg250k to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks! Appreciate the insight and the grading ideas!

I'm really not happy with 'Gold Standard Coins' out of Dallas Texas. The photos that I saw when I bought this coin and one other Morgan were, as many of you pointed out when I first posted them, were overexposed by too much flash, showed no scratches or blemishes. The one above was advertised as completely uncirculated. And the 1889 CC was 'lightly circulated'. But when they showed up, they were more worn than the photos I made my bids on. I'm hoping this isn't common practice, but I have definitely learned to look out for that sort of mis-reprentation.

Thanks to all of you - who clearly know way more than I do.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61514 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2021  7:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lesson well learned, I hope. Never buy without 30-day return privileges, which gives you a chance to show it here if you have any doubt.
United States
27 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2021  8:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greg250k to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes! I definitely will. But they were more than deceptive in their posts of what you are supposed to be buying. And it continues today.
Valued Member
United States
114 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2021  1:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pmint1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I struggle grading coins like this. Often I can't see any sign of wear. To me the devices are sharp. From the pics I would call this MS 62 or 63. Maybe there is slight rub on the eagles breast but I'm not sure it's enough to call it AU. I would like to find a good grading course to take which dials in AU 58 vs unc. I understand it's a fine line.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2554 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2021  5:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say ms61 as for the grade.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5639 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  2:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks AU55 or 58, based on what looks like a trace of wear on the eagle's breast and friction on Liberty's cheek and the obverse fields. However, the proof is in the luster. The coin needs to be examined under a bright light, tilting it to view the luster. To make the MS cut the luster must be essentially intact across the fields. The field around IGWT on the reverse is the area I find most revealing when trying to determine BU vs. AU.

You may have overpaid for this coin, but it's still a nice CC Morgan, attractive and problem-free.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 658Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05