Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need To Know Mint Process Or After Mint On 1980 Jefferson Nickel

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 342Next Topic  

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2021  11:18 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SaraStorey12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have a feeling after looking at the post of the person's quarter, you guys are going to say after mint damage. But, I thought I'd shoot it out here anyway, and thank everyone for such a lovely forum. This won't be the last one, I'm sure :)

Anyway what I have is a very messed up 1980 Jefferson nickel. The letters are wonky there looks to be die cast errors and lamination errors, but I could be just totally missing it. I'm wanting to make a business with coin collecting for multiple reasons.. I love it, and I need money LOL Truth, but I also want an honest business so I know I need to be as accurate as possible. Thanks for you help in advance and looking forward to what you all have to say.

I do not have a scale yet working on it, I know I need one. So, I did not weigh it to see if its on the right planchet. Thanks again!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3220 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2021  02:15 am  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

It's just a lot of Post Mint Damage. Lots of gouges, scratches and contact marks, but all came long after the coin was struck. Nothing in the minting process could have caused this.

Also, you used the term "cast" in your description. Coin in the US are die struck. A cast coin is an entirely different process, so it wouldn't apply here.
ANA Member ID: 3203813 - CONECA Member ID: N-5637
"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime. All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time." Tom Waits-Clap Hands

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2021  02:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SaraStorey12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Yokozuna for the welcome and reply. Also, thanks for helping me with the terminology. I'm wondering now where I picked up the term die cast LOL.. but now I can be conscious of not using that term..

Thanks again,
Sara
Bedrock of the Community
United States
40819 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2021  04:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. Looks like what is called a "parking lot" coin. PMD. Also, a few too many photos.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3518 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2021  04:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is what we call a Parking Lot coin.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2021  04:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SaraStorey12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the feedback, and sorry I'll limit the photos next time. I also noticed the sub category when it was too late as well :( But thanks for the warm welcome.
Valued Member
United States
212 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2021  05:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Parnelli917 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sara,

to the community! While your first coin might be post mint damage, you have come to the right place to learn about coins, collecting coins and starting your own business. I found several topics for people who are thinking about starting their own business by using the search box on this page. Here's one of the ones I found.

http://goccf.com/t/101776

There is a lot to learn. Hope this helps.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60691 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2021  08:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Clearly damage.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9949 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2021  09:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF
Your title for this thread answers your own question
"Need To Know Mint Process"

Check this out
http://goccf.com/t/380764

Then see
http://goccf.com/t/385379
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Forum Dad
United States
21381 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2021  09:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just FYI, way too many pics. One full obverse and one full reverse shot would've been fine.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1145 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2021  11:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No disrespect intended, but if you were unable to figure what happened to that coin, you're not ready to start a coin business. Starting a business without a good knowledge of its field is a recipe for lost time and money, and unhappy customers. If you're serious about such an endeavor, first spend a few years studying and learning.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5315 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2021  12:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A well-nicked nickel.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6829 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2021  10:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sara, first,

If you are going to make a business out of collecting coins, you need to take the process slow and ask as many questions as you have. As TNG pointed out, knowing the minting process is a critical part of the business. If I was just starting in numismatics, I would specialize in one denomination of one country's coin. The easy one is the U.S. cent. It's easy to "get your feet wet" by going to your bank as buying a box or two of cents (notice I didn't say "pennies") and start the long process of looking through the rolls. Keep what you find interesting (they only cost you a cent each) then return the rest for even more boxes/rolls.

Realise not every coin is an error coin, and that true errors are very rare. Photograph what you have questions about ask us then post your queries here and we'll be happy to help. Buy yourself the Red Book of US coins as that will help too. Spend time searching on error types in the top left corner of every page here on CCF. There is a lot to learn and you have come to the right place!

Sara, welcome to the family.
-Leslie

ša va bien aller

Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 342Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.37 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05