Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Have My 1943 Over 42 Mercury Dame With Better Pics That I Think Shows A 2

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 899Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
7 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2021  10:57 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Bustos to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15871 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2021  08:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To CCF , You need better photos . Large , clear, full coin shots of obverse and reverse with clear close ups of date . Can't attribute nothing with these pics .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60747 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2021  08:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Much sharper images, please.

to the CCF!
Learn More...
United States
103783 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2021  10:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

It looks like you are posting photos of a screen image of the coin and not an actual image of the coin. What screen is that image on? You appear to be posting from an Android device. Can you view the image on that device and save from there?
Pillar of the Community
United States
5615 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2021  10:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not to be too negative, but no 1943/2 dime has ever been discovered and it's extremely unlikely that you have one. Almost certainly your dime suffered a well-placed hit that distorted the shape of the 3. Your coin is worth silver content value, around $2.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20373 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2021  10:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Looks more like a 43.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60747 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2021  10:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Without sharper pics, we can't help.
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2021  11:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bustos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is an actual coin and yes it was taken from my android and yes I know there hasnt been one discovered I spent a few hours on the internet That is why I posted it on here and I thought I did it right using free image optimizer but apparently it is still wrong. To the few jerks, you should stop cause u guys sound dumb when u havent even seen a clear pic
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2021  12:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bustos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a little microscope that is attached to an android without service. I got a crystal clear image of the date off the actual coin and used my personal android to take a few pics to post on here. Even the pics I tried to post here all look good but free opimizer didnt work. I can text a few pics to someones phone but that might not be the way to go. I can try to email a few pics cause I would really like to get another opinion because you can clearly see 3 over 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
3936 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2021  07:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF

Quote:
Not to be too negative, but no 1943/2 dime has ever been discovered and it's extremely unlikely that you have one. Almost certainly your dime suffered a well-placed hit that distorted the shape of the 3. Your coin is worth silver content value, around $2.

While the long odds are that Jaobler's correct, I'm not yet convinced. The blurry pics do suggest the possibility of an overdate. Just because no such coin has yet been discovered surely doesn't preclude the possibility. Consider that the 1919 DD dimes floated about for about a century before that variety was discovered. Then too, the 1938-D/S nickels, of which thousands exist, took a generation to be discovered!

I recommend taking the coin to a few shows and asking some knowledgeable dealers/collectors to examine it in-hand. That said, I once did that with a double-denomination error, a six cent piece, being a cent overstruck by nickel dies. Most of the dealers, including a major error dealer, tossed it back to me, without realizing what it was! Eventually, a dealer bought it from me for a four-figure price. So, showing a major error coin around, even if it is highly suspect, can pay off.
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2021  09:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bustos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you ExoGuy for the advice. After spending a few hours on the net and it only bringing up the 42 over 41 I thought to myself WOW I might just have something. I will find an export to examine it themselves and I will for sure post the results on here. I am sorry for what I had said I did not realize that the pics still didnt come out but they should not criticize me. I really wished these pics would have came out because you can see more detail especially under the microscope with light hitting the coin at different angles. It looks no different from the 2 on other Mercury dimes
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9949 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2021  09:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
die chip
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60747 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2021  09:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You might save a lot of leg work by just submitting it to a major grading service.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2940 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2021  09:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Clearer shots would definitely help, but I think I can safely say, there is no 2. The angle of the mark in question, along with the curvature is not correct with that of a 2 from a 1942. The one in your example is straight, with no curvature.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2760 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2021  11:04 am  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Sorry for what I had said but they shouldnt have criticized me

I encourage you to go back and read all of the "criticizing posts". They are polite and well-intentioned suggestions. You posted a coin - presumably asking for the opinion of the forum - but did not provide photos to enable the forum to assist you. Those who would like to assist you suggested that - if you want their opinion you would need to provide pictures that more clearly show the anomaly that you are claiming.

As far as the coin goes, while it is possible that such a variety has gone undetected for all these years, it is highly unlikely. Varieties are not like errors. Errors can be one-off events. Varieties are created by a die that has an anomaly and every coin created by that die will have that variety.
With cheap and easily available USB microscopes and increased awareness in looking for such things, it has become less and less likely that any major variety will be discovered.
I would be glad to be wrong and for you to have found a major overdate, but it would be a shame if you wasted money verifying this coin only to discover that it is a damaged 1943 dime.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2433 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2021  11:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see damage.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 899Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05