Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2018 Nickel, Huge Die Chip On Rim?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 42 / Views: 1,185Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community

Canada
1196 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2021  4:42 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
These pictures aren't great I'll post more tonight. What do you think. The metal comes over the coin but dosnt fully touch it where the beads are, looks like the beads are underneath the extra metal

, I was thinking maybe a popped gas bubble but looks like the rim extends out over the coin. I apologize about the horrible lighting lol
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1196 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2021  4:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The edge of the rim itself where this is looks fine, smooth like a normal nickel
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60683 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2021  4:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you show us sharper images?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
11605 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2021  4:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a rim fin that has folded over.
Must have been fairly large to fold over that much.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1196 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2021  5:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These photos are a little better. I wish I had a better camera

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1196 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2021  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just looks like a link piece of metal not connecting with the coin face protruding out of the rim. Never heard of a rim fin lol, but the link was full of info, dosnt look like any examples I saw though
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1196 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2021  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it's an error it's my first lol. In the full shot of the queen it look like a second rim almost on the bottom, looks longer then I thought
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60683 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2021  5:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree this looks like a folded rim fin.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1196 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2021  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it does turn out to be a folded rim fin would there be a premium? Or is it like a die chip and not a real error? Also unfortunately there is that machine mark from a vending machine or something.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1196 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2021  5:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also sorry about the title error I asked it be corrected to 2018 nickel
Learn More...
United States
20566 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2021  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I asked it be corrected to 2018 nickel

Fixed it!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1196 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2021  7:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Spence:) I was excited after finding this coin, still not 100% on if it's damage or a die chip,everyone is saying fish talk rim and a folded fish tail rim, still not sure if it's worth anything, can't wait till I can get some decent gear for photos and close up errors like MD and DD errors, even little errors like die cracks are hard to recognize with my phone lol.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3838 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2021  8:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To me, it looks like PMD, with metal from the rim shaaved and deposited on the beads.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1196 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2021  8:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@okiecoiner, the beads I can see go underneath the rim but I can still see beads under the rim.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3838 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2021  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I think that something shaved off a very thin layer of the rim and deposited it on the beads. If you can see the beads, the coin was fully struck and whatever happened, happened after it was struck. PMD
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1196 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2021  12:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unless it's a folded fish tail rim. According to everyone else here. Also idk what you mean by shaved off part of the rim and deposited it on the coin?
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 42 / Views: 1,185Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05