Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Real Vs Counterfeit (1776 William Moulton NH Half Penny)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 423Next Topic  

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2021  11:16 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Mmharp17 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,I have just acquired a small coin collection with all sorts of fun coins in it but one that I have found is very rare, IF it's real. In my research I have found that 99% of them are counterfeit but one can always hope, right? I know one of the things to look for in a counterfeit has to do with the edge. I honestly don't know how to judge and would love some feedback, if possible.

*** Edited by Staff to Add Year / Mintmark / Denomination to Title. Titles are Important! ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
2344 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2021  11:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In order to help, we'll need to know what the coin is. Please post photos of both sides of the coin and why you suspect it my be counterfeit.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11969 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2021  11:43 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We need clear pics of both sides and then we can go from there.

In Memory of Crazyb0 12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious 3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

Oh that I was where I would be,
Then I would be where I am not,
Here I am where I must be,
Go where I would, I can not.
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2021  12:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mmharp17 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So sorry, I was distracted. It is a 1776 William Moulton NH half penny. I do have pictures but am trying to figure out how to post them.

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2021  01:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mmharp17 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know my pictures aren't clear of the front and back, I was having problems with the file size.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2945 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2021  06:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes and we can not help you with them.

If all else fails, scan the coin for us, and it will give a sharp image.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Learn More...
United States
20531 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2021  06:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@mmh, first welcome to CCF. Second, in-focus pics would help as I think I see traces of COPY just above the WM, but in the meantime, can you please also post the weight of this piece? Thx.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
1897 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2021  1:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have one that was made into a tie clip. There are so many replicas of these that one has to assume fake unless proven otherwise. If you're taking pictures with a phone, try holding the camera farther away and zooming in 30-40% until you find the sweet spot for focus, then crop the images before posting.
Learn More...
United States
103571 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
713 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  4:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a replica. There are very few certainties about this coinage, but the general consensus is that those of this design are replicas. This design, https://coins.ha.com/itm/colonials/.../1298-3648.s is generally considered to be the original.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 423Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05