Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1851-C Half Eagle: New Purchase

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 786Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
5644 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  2:30 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I recently purchased this coin which I thought had nice original surfaces and was priced fairly. What does the Community think about this one?

Pillar of the Community
United States
683 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  3:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Id estimate it at a XF-40, though I am not too familiar with gold coins in general.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3377 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  4:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd also say XF-40, nice branch mint example.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2567 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  5:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Xf40 to me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4182 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good strike for C mint. Solid xf40. Shot at xf45.
Edited by jimbucks
07/25/2021 6:01 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
418 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  5:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An attractive example with minimal distractions. My want list includes an example from both the Charlotte and Dahlonega mints for my type set, and one like this would definitely make me happy! I'd say VF35.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10000 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  6:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I saw it before scrolling down, I thought XF40 and see I'm not alone.
I did not look at photograde or grading criteria. Just a guess and nice coin to own.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Pillar of the Community
United States
8427 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  11:02 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My first thought was VF35, but then I thought Charlotte? I'm not so well versed on these aren't they known for being weakly struck or was that Dahlonega? I can never keep them straight in my head since I don't get into gold that much.

Hmmm. I think I'm thinking too much I will just stick with my first gut instinct.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4020 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2021  11:16 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Acquired this this week !
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10704 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  10:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i also had this one at XF40 maybe 45. the surfaces are fairly marked up. not a huge fan. especially at that grade
Edited by panzaldi
07/26/2021 10:26 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
22836 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin. Your first photos didn't really show how much luster the coin has.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10000 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  11:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Glad for you we all guessed low. Congrats!
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4020 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  12:04 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The NGC coin pictured is NOT the OP coin , I ADDED pix of THAT one that I just recently acquired for comparison to the OP pictured
coin , which is most likely going to be an EF40 .
Edited by Pacificoin
07/26/2021 12:06 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
5644 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  3:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pacificoin,
Can you post full-coin images of your example (which is obviously higher grade than mine)? I'd love to see the details better.

According to Doug Winter and Coin Facts the 1851-C half eagle is very scarce in AU, so congratulations on acquiring a terrific coin!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4020 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  4:32 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would if I could , coin bank vaulted today !
See what I can do next trip !

Was able to find a couple of others we took !
Hope these help!
Edited by Pacificoin
07/26/2021 6:17 pm
Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2021  5:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RobertRansom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
EF-40
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 786Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.37 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05