Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Specific Gravity Formula?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 312Next Topic  

United States
6 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2021  8:32 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Tlconner523 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey everyone I was hoping somebody knew the formula on how to calculate the specific gravity of a nickel that weighs 4.88 g? I have completed the specific gravity test and have the driveway and the weight of the coin suspended in water and it's coming out higher than a copper nickel alloy but less than the silver copper War Nickel specific gravity that I am comparing it to. However my dry weight of the coin is 4.88, does this make a difference?
Valued Member
United States
366 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2021  8:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add halfamind to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Water is the standard: 1 gram per cubic centimeter. Take your 4.88 g coin and divide by the displacement in cubic cm.
Valued Member
United States
366 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2021  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add halfamind to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
However, given that both War Nickels and regular Jefferson nickels weigh 5 g, the SG test will not help determine composition. Regardless of composition, I deduce you have a nickel that has lost 0.12 g via circulation wear.
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2021  9:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tlconner523 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will post the pictures because I'm coming out with a specific gravity 9.207. The weight of my 1946 nickel is 4.88g and when I suspended in the distilled water it weighs 0.53 g. Did I calculate the specific gravity correctly and if so would this fall under a silver War Nickel although the year is 1946?

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18959 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2021  10:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
S.G. (density) = mass / (divided by the) volume.

Whenever I was attempting to do a specific Gravity test I always found it to be rather fiddly to get very accurate measurements for the displacement volume, with all of those tiny attachment wires that do have tendency to give larger volume measurements for small objects, and then accurately measure the volume of the displacement water which includes all of the droplets sticking behind in the containment vessels.

Where ever possible, when it comes to coins, I just cheat by looking up whatever published data I can find relating to a particular coin.

Edited by sel_69l
07/27/2021 10:20 pm
Valued Member
United States
366 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2021  10:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add halfamind to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You just can't tell from a SG test. Both the War Nickel and regular issues weigh 5 grams new. Both have a specific gravity very close to 9. In the War Nickel, the 35% silver is counterbalanced, so to speak, by the less dense manganese.
Valued Member
United States
366 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2021  10:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add halfamind to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Given the 1946 date, it is almost certainly the 75 percent copper, 25 percent nickel composition.
Valued Member
United States
366 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2021  10:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add halfamind to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
BTW, your SG (4.88 g / 0.53 cm cubed) = 9.2, which is pretty darn accurate for any U.S. nickel.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11970 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2021  12:19 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you post full coin shots of both sides? I can't help with SG, but would like to see it better.
In Memory of Crazyb0 12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious 3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

Oh that I was where I would be,
Then I would be where I am not,
Here I am where I must be,
Go where I would, I can not.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2423 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2021  1:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it is not an error.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 312Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05