Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1955 Proof Lincoln Wheat Cent Doubled Die - DDR-007

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 933Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3656 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2021  7:08 pm Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Always thought this one was pretty close to qualifying for the CherryPickers' Guide. The dots are almost completely separated with close to a full device width of spread.

1955 proof Lincoln Wheat cent doubled die - DDR-007

Pillar of the Community
United States
4867 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2021  7:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Absolutely stunning! Agreed on the Cherry Pickers as a qualifier.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
648 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2021  7:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! Excellent DDR and example!
-makecents-
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60872 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2021  7:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Super nice, congrats.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3133 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2548 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2021  9:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice!
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
82 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  01:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LeatherHawk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm jealous!!! Beautiful coin!!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2438 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  03:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely a beautiful spread.
(You know it's nice if CF can see it! )
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups. We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
849 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  07:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jadey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice!
Learn More...
United States
103894 Posts
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
270 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  1:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kcm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ignorant neophyte -- on quest to mitigate ignorance -- asks (does NOT challenge) all.

How do you conclude that this proof coin is a doubled die (a concept I've mastered) and not a double strike -- as I am learning is indigenous to creating a proof coin?

Kevin
Given the option of choosing between a very interesting coin or a rather valuable one, I'd choose the former every time . My vexation lies in the fact that the two so often coincide.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1742 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  2:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
KCM this is a very obvious example of a DDR the lettering thicker than those on a normal coin.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
849 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  4:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jadey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@KCM
I'm not terribly educated on the subject either, so others can correct me if I'm wrong. The Doubled Die refers to the Die itself being punched twice, with the two punches slightly askew. The Die then only strikes the coin once.

Edit:
Never mind, I think I misunderstood the question.
Edited by Jadey
07/29/2021 4:29 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2148 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  4:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 11997755 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another beauty.
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  9:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CentSation to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

How do you conclude that this proof coin is a doubled die (a concept I've mastered) and not a double strike

1 - I believe the fact that there are many that are exactly alike, including the marker inside the N of CENT.

2 - Experts have determined it to be the die.

Those who know what's best for us, must save us from ourselves.
United States
29 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2021  11:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Itsmejc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin!
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 933Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05