Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Penny With In God. Stamped Up Too Far, Worth?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 300Next Topic  
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2021  7:00 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Nehmo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm just trying to figure out if this penny is worth anything? I'm new to this hobby. The other penny in the pic is just for reference.

And where do you sell these coins? Is eBay the best place?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
11669 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2021  7:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF

Your comparing a 1950 coin to a 2005 coin.
The master die was changed during that time.
You have to compare coins of the same year.
Also your 1950 has what is called a ridge ring caused by Die Deterioration
and is also a Misaligned Die
Edited by JimmyD
07/30/2021 7:08 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53503 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2021  7:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actually the 1950' dies could have worn, or the master hub was different that they master hub design of today. All coins that year have the devices in the same places, but die wear will make some devices move towards/into the rim. You have to compare the coins from the same years to see what is normal, not 71 years different designs.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
6861 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2021  7:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not certain which coin you were asking about (multiple coins get confusing), so I'll assume it's the 1950-D? The master hub when this coin was minted was worn out, this "touching the rim" was fairly common back in the fifties/sixties, there is no premium for this, sorry. Your coin looks to be in decent shape but they aren't much in heavy demand, so it's worth maybe a buck at best? Yes, eBay is about the best place to sell, but again, your coin won't bring much I'm afraid.

to the CCF!
ça va bien aller

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2021  7:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nehmo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
(I'm OP)
Well, I may have NOT found a penny of value, but I did seem to have found a group of helpful people. You all deserve thanks. I'm amazed at how quickly the answers came in. Plus, they were educational.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2515 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2021  7:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You still found a nicer Wheat cent. A keeper in my Ziploc.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18987 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2021  11:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nehmo:- to the CCF!
Some good explanatory comments have been posted so far.

To find out the actual worth of your coin pictured, you will need to search for similar coins up for sale on eBay.

Learn More...
United States
103894 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
5351 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  12:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Given the photo of the '50 D, it appears too that a mild instance of a misaligned die may be in play. Without seeing the coin's reverse, It's difficult to arrive at a sound estimated value. Going with the single image, I'd say 10-20 cents.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 300Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05