Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Help With 1890 CC

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 737Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
232 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  12:03 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add carlp007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have someone offering to sell me this 1890 CC Morgan online. However, looking at the reverse, the CC does not look correct. I have requested a better picture of the reverse. But, in this picture the CC seems larger and not spaced correctly compared to other pictures of 1890 CC I have looked at online. Not owing a CC, I cannot physically look at one to compare.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3328 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  12:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The mintmark looks close to a VAM-5. Can you post a photo of the obverse?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2290 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  12:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would you be willing to post an obverse photo?

Thanks!
Valued Member
United States
232 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  12:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add carlp007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the picture of the obverse.

Learn More...
United States
20566 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  12:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A nice close-up of the mm would be nice, but even with the current pic, something looks a bit odd when I crop, enlarge, and enhance the overall image.

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
2423 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  12:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It does look quite odd.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5308 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  12:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm leaning toward the conclusion there's a real problem with the CC mint mark.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
11605 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  12:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After looking at the Obverse, I would say it is a counterfeit.
No need to look at the Reverse, just look at the date and the top of the wreath
Disregard this post, I accidentally pulled up the wrong photo when comparing
Edited by JimmyD
07/31/2021 2:41 pm
Valued Member
United States
232 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  12:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add carlp007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have asked for a close up and the weight of the coin. He will get back it to me Monday.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2290 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  12:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VAM-2 has a tilted MM touching the wreath. Both VAM-2 and VAM-5 would appear to be contenders. The date position, however, looks like a far date, which would rule out VAM-2 and VAM-5. Thoughts?
Valued Member
United States
485 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  12:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cointagous to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That mintmark is worrisome. I would use this to help....

http://ec2-13-58-222-16.us-east-2.c...-CC_Reverses
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2290 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  12:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The more I'm looking at this, the more I am thinking fake.

EDIT: I'm thinking genuine 1890, with an added mm. Look at the area surrounding the mm. The circular area looks recessed, with the mm set in a well. The shape of the mm looks wrong, especially the second "C" in the mm. The deep indentations on the reverse may suggest a clamping device to hold the coin. Several genuine 1890 dollars have stray denticle impressions in different places on the reverse. There are spots on this coin that could be those impressions. (Just above the olive branch is one such area.) Too many concerns here.
Edited by fortcollins
07/31/2021 1:06 pm
Valued Member
United States
232 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  1:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add carlp007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure I should put this in but the coin is being offered by Larry Shapiro Rare Coins. Is anyone familiar with him or purchase from him?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2423 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  1:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm thinking genuine 1890, with an added mm. Look at the area surrounding the mm. The circular area looks recessed, with the mm set in a well. The shape of the mm looks wrong, especially the second "C" in the mm.

Thats my guess and reasoning too.
Learn More...
United States
20566 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  1:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@carl, if you use the CCF search box with LARRY SHAPIRO as keywords, you will find multiple threads that mention this seller. Here is a link to one of them (under the heading "reputable online dealers"):

http://goccf.com/t/198589

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
United States
232 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  1:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add carlp007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Spence I will take a look.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 737Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05