Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Grading Services - Inconsistencies?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 401Next Topic  

United States
27 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  5:25 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Greg250k to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've been looking at a lot of coin sales and auctions online. I realize that I'm only looking at photos of these coins. But I feel like I'm seeing differences in the grading. PGCS, NGC, and SEGS all show coins that to me eye look about the same. Again, I'm just looking at a photo, but I feel like PGCS and NGC seem to be pretty consistent. But To me, SEGS seems to grade higher than the others. Maybe it's anecdotal. I'm adding photos (they aren't great) of a 1902 VAM-4 that SEGS grades at MS-65+. Seems a stretch to me, but I'm new to this. Thoughts?

Pillar of the Community
United States
3328 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  6:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An obverse photo would help. SEGS is not considered one of the top tier grading companies, and their grading can be inconsistent, especially in the higher mint state range. I definitely wouldn't rely on their stated grade.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2344 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There's a reason ebay, and most folks here, only recognize 3-4 TPG companies. Even when dealing with the top 3-4, buy the coin not the slab.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18958 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  8:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is probably better to just take the stated grading on the slab as being nearest to being correct.

There are three main problems in trying to assess the grading for yourself of pictured graded coins is that
1) the lighting conditions can vary,
2) the quality of whatever photographic equipment was used, and
3) the ability pf the photographer.

When a coin is professionally graded, one would expect that there would be less variation in grading opinions. A professional grader objectively examines each coin raw, in hand, under ideal lighting conditions.

It is for this reason that I really prefer to buy raw unslabbed coins. Raw coins can be checked for weight or XRF if needed. This especially applies for other than modern coins where to possibility of fakes can be greater.

Nevertheless, I prefer to grade for myself, using the same conditions and I also prefer unslabbed coins.
I see that the main reason for slabbing a coin is that when selling, an objective third party opinion would be more acceptable than have a disagreement of opinion between a probable seller and buyer.
Having said that, I haven't sold a coin out of my collection for more than 40 years.

When buying coins for myself, I usually ignore the stated grading on the slab anyway. I think I have been around long enough to preferentially trust my own grading instead, in most circumstances.

Valued Member
United States
184 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  8:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add VAMsforMoney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it was me, I wouldn't pay more than 61 money for that 1902-P in a SEGS slab. While the VAM-4 is cool, the coin grade makes the value, not the VAM No.in this case IMHO.
United States
27 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  8:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greg250k to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd take real photos, but I can't get the coin out of that clear plastic casket it's entombed in.
Pillar of the Community
United States
772 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  09:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
in reality even the top grading companies are inconsistent on grading even from the same company depending on the grader the day and who knows what other factors. Larger submitters versus average joe sending in a few coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2423 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2021  11:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't like SEGS for grading.
Valued Member
United States
231 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  5:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Overall, grading is subjective and there will be inconsistencies with any coin grading service. Buy the coin, not the holder. Just because it says 65+ doesn't make it a 65+.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 401Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05