Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1908 No Motto St. Gaudens Double Eagle PCGS Vs. You

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 607Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
333 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2021  01:25 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Adam590 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Again, please forgive my photos--hopefully the coin is still gradable from them. It has always been my dream to own a coin of this type (and I always preferred the ones without the motto to the ones with the motto). In hand it has a bit of an orange-tinted look, which is part of why I like it. Many of them seem to be kind of dull in color and luster to me--and another part of why I chose this one is that the grade seemed low to me, making it seem to me like a high quality example of a common date at a common grade.

Edited by Adam590
08/08/2021 02:23 am
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19359 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2021  02:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Always harder to get nice pics to the screen, when the coin is under plastic. Third Party Graders don't have this problem.
They would have seen this coin in the raw, with the aid of a 10x loupe, under ideal lighting conditions

No wear, but a few small but obvious nicks and dents, there may be other other much smaller dings and scratches that are impossible to on screen under the plastic.

I am aware that Americans grade their MS60+ gold coins very hard. 90% gold is softer than 90% silver or bronze.
The fact that the larger size of a double Eagle makes it much more susceptible to minor hits and scratches doesn't help.

MS-62

I also have a St Gaudens (1924) with no wear, but not as nice as this one.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3240 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2021  07:56 am  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, this is a nice coin. I too love this type of coin!

I'm not very good at grading gold coins, maybe because I've only had one severely damaged gold dollar in all my years of collecting. I'll let the experts answer on this one, but I'm keeping an eye on this topic.

Even with the volatile gold market, I'll make you a standing offer 5 X FACE value on this one. If the world economy happens to collapse, and only food has any value, just get a message to me by whatever basic method of mail still exist, and I'll find a way to get a nice worthless paper $100 to you.

I'm really quite jealous!
ANA Member ID: 3203813 - CONECA Member ID: N-5637
"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime. All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time." Tom Waits-Clap Hands

Pillar of the Community
United States
3287 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2021  09:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS64
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
64349 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2021  09:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say MS-63+.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10209 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2021  11:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS64
1883-O Nut
Bedrock of the Community
United States
23037 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2021  12:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks MS-64 to me.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11215 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2021  09:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS64
Valued Member
United States
487 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2021  10:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add psuman08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beauty. MS-64
Valued Member
United States
333 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2021  09:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam590 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PCGS gave this MS(63). I thought it looked great for a 63. I have seen 64s that are not as nice as this one! I am proud to have this as my type coin for the St. Gaudens Double Eagle!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11215 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2021  10:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i agree...better than 63
Pillar of the Community
United States
2715 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2021  7:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ms64+ a real stunner
Pillar of the Community
United States
8606 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2021  06:55 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS64, but it could even be MS65? I don't see the typical chatter marks that are on lower graded examples, the couple little ones in the rays of the sun on the reverse aren't as bad as the photo shows them to be I'd bet.

Looks like a really nice example to me and dripping with golden luster, I think this one grades much higher than the guesses so far.

EDIT: I see I'm late and the grade was revealed, well you see what I think and still do, worthy of a resub possibly?
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, C4, & NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
08/13/2021 06:56 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 607Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: