Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Christa Mcauliffe Commemorative Coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 592Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
4770 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2021  11:38 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TheForce to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I really dig and want the Christa McAuliffe commemorative coin. But I just can't justify the price tag.

https://catalog.usmint.gov/christa-...EN-Mcauliffe
Valued Member
United States
149 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2021  12:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coronet1832 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I struggled with it too. Eventually got it, but the price seemed steep.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4999 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2021  12:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm feeling the same but towards the US Coast Guard Metal.
Love the design hate the price...
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
9587 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2021  03:23 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bought one and thought it was good value compared with coins issued by The Royal Mint in the UK. The silver proof version of the 2021 5 Royal Albert Hall commemorative, for instance, sells for 92.50, which works out at $127.67 for a similar sized coin. UK collectors do however usually have the option of buying a cupro-nickel version, although these are grossly overpriced at 13 in an unnecessary fancy folder, and are no longer sold at face value through banks.
Valued Member
United States
371 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2021  11:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add carlp007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't purchased it yet, but I do plan to get it. I need it for my continuing commemorative collection.
Pillar of the Community
United States
719 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2021  1:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RPT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They aren't selling very well.

UNC sold 13,256

Proof sold 43,329

The mintage limit is 350,000
Pillar of the Community
United States
6392 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2021  2:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed that the mint prices are high but as a collector I get each proof from the mint yearly. The set is getting large.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4197 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2021  2:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with the OP. These will probably trade for silver value only in the near future.
Valued Member
United States
206 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2021  3:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1847bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Poor sales and a high price shouldn't keep you from owning what you want. If it goes to melt price later so be it. That goes for most everything but I bought it be because I think Christa McAuliffe is a hero for the sacrifice.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11367 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2021  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the coin. At first I was on the fence but the more I read about it, the more I was on board. There is at least one good topic here on CCF that discusses it. If I have some time later tonight I'll look for it.

And yes, I'm not thrilled with the Mint prices either but compared to some other countries, we still have it pretty cheap here in the U.S.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3096 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2021  7:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgans dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I too Enjoy this Commemorative, NASA'S Teachers in Space Program's First Chosen Social Studies Teacher....She's also a Hero to us All ........ A Wonderful way to Remember Her, I personally Enjoy the Uncirculated Version ..
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6732 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2021  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There is at least one good topic here on CCF that discusses it. If I have some time later tonight I'll look for it.

Maybe this is the one?

- http://goccf.com/t/387682

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Valued Member
United States
265 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2021  8:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add livingwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll probably get one. I have a few astronaut autographs. From Clayton Anderson's management site I got personalized signed pics for the grandkids.
Edited by livingwater
08/13/2021 8:46 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 592Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: