Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2021 25c Proof Crossing The Delaware-What Are These Blue Streaks On Obv?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 1,091Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
209 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2021  11:58 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mb560600 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just received the 2021 Proof set from the U.S. Mint. The Crossing the Delaware quarter has strange blue streaks on the obverse left of the bust and all around IGWT. Anyone have any information as to what would cause this?

Learn More...
United States
112247 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2021  12:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They look like scuff marks. Are they on the plastic? The lens is not sealed. You can carefully open and investigate.
Valued Member
United States
209 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2021  12:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mb560600 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll open the case and see....
Valued Member
United States
209 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2021  1:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mb560600 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I opened the case and found that the blue streaks were on the coin, not on the case. I used a soft cloth to see if the streaks would wipe clean, and they did! Could be something used at the mint to polish proof coins which left a residue?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
44659 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2021  1:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can we see after pics? You should never use a cloth on a coin especially a proof.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
209 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2021  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mb560600 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Will do, John. I'll post pics later this afternoon.
Learn More...
United States
112247 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2021  3:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I opened the case and found that the blue streaks were on the coin, not on the case. I used a soft cloth to see if the streaks would wipe clean, and they did!
Glad to find it was not permanent damage, but wiping a proof coin could have made things worse. I would have preferred an acetone soak followed by a fresh acetone rinse.

Quote:
Could be something used at the mint to polish proof coins which left a residue?
Seems to me it is more likely grease from the minting equipment.
Valued Member
United States
209 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2021  7:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mb560600 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are photos of the coin after it was taken out of the holder, and lightly cleaned with a soft cloth to remove the blue residue. Should I soak the coin in acetone to more fully clean the coin?

Pillar of the Community
United States
2092 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2021  8:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coin looks good to me. I suggest not messing with it any further.
Valued Member
United States
209 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2021  9:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mb560600 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your response, NumisEd. Since I took it out of the holder and gently wiped off the debris, I didn't know whether it would be best to give it the acetone soak for conservation before returning it to the holder, or just leave it as is.
Valued Member
United States
209 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2021  10:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mb560600 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jbuck, thanks for your input. Regarding your comment about the possibility there was grease on the coin---is there any significance to the fact that the streaks on the coin were blue in color? And if this was grease, could that affect the long term appearance of the coin when I put it back in the holder?
Pillar of the Community
United States
8068 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2021  11:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Acetone cannot hurt your coin. If this was some sort of contaminant, it might be a good idea to use the acetone on it. But its your decision.

As to using the cloth, try forced air next time a situation like this comes up. Even something as simple as an eye dropper can work for some things.
How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Download and read: Grading the graders
Costly TPG ineptitude and No FG Kennedy halves
https://ln5.sync.com/dl/7ca91bdd0/w...i3b-rbj9fir2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1276 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2021  09:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent work at removing them. The original images remind me of those notorious milk spots found on late-sixties/early seventies proofs which turned out to be a cleaning residue used by the mint. And those are embedded into the coin.
ANA member - PAN Member - BCCS Member
There are no problems only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Edited by Ballyhoo
08/17/2021 09:10 am
Learn More...
United States
112247 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2021  12:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would definitely give it an acetone treatment. Some of the containment could remain. If it was grease, a remaining thin layer may have been what prevented the cloth from scratching the surface.

Remember, any acetone soak is followed by a flowing rinse with fresh acetone (not the batch you used for the soak). Do not rinse with water! Do not wipe dry! Fresh acetone should air dry faster than you can whip out a cloth to wipe it!
Valued Member
United States
209 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2021  1:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mb560600 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks jbuck, Ballyhoo and Earle42 for your input. If I had not investigated and left the coin in the holder for an extended period of time, who knows? The grease/polish or whatever may have permanently damaged the coin.
I am going to give it an acetone bath, and then an acetone rinse followed by an air dry ---just to make sure there is no additional contaminant on the coin.
Learn More...
United States
112247 Posts
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 1,091Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: