Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My Anticosti Island Token: After 150 Years, Are We Still Totally Clueless?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 1,336Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
366 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2021  01:32 am Show Profile   Check daltonista's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

This was an inexpensive pickup for me about 40 years ago, and I'm no closer now to knowing anything definitive about its attribution than I was at the turn of the century. I confess I haven't looked very hard since about then because I switched the focus of my collection to British tokens, but everything I'd found up until that point seemed to be rumor, speculation, and theory. Nobody could establish a source, issuer or purpose for this piece, and even its association with Canada, much less Anticosti Island, was questionable at best.

I've read all the stories about the wealthy hunting lodge owner on Anticosti, about shipwreck salvage finds, and about South American hacienda tokens, etc., but seriously, have we come any closer to a real attribution for this piece in the last 20 years? Or will it be a maverick forever, stuck in the "Nobody Knows Anything" category?

Any and all updates are welcome here!
(...as long as you don't mention Roswell.)

I never pay too much for my tokens...but every now and then I may buy one a little too soon.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
41294 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2021  04:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
12030 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2021  06:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That seemed easy, there are even two for sale on eBay.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3923 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2021  07:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There have been some discussions about the token on one of the coin sites in the last few months. I thought that it was on here, but the "search" turned up nothing. Maybe manually going through the last couple months will find it. The title may not have been titles "Anticosti" but the discussion went there. I did find a reference on the PCGS site for world coins. Look at June 2020 on the PCGS discussion site since CCF won't allow a link.

Here is a great article on the token/island. It's on p6 of their paper:
https://www.edmontoncoinclub.com/wp..._May2014.pdf

Edited by okiecoiner
08/17/2021 07:35 am
Valued Member
Canada
146 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2021  12:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add blargish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe the "Anticosti Island" attribution stems back to a listing in an 1890 catalog by the Scott Stamp & Coin Company on the basis of the letter "A", which is questionable at best to say the least... Apart from this, there is zero evidence I'm aware of that ties it to Anticosti Island.

Still no progress since! Although I recall reading somewhere about an alternate theory but I cannot find the article at the moment.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4278 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2021  12:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Despite that coins and Canada reference, I am in the same camp as the Edmonton Coin Club article: attribution not proven.
Learn More...
Canada
9897 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2021  1:29 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Despite that coins and Canada reference, I am in the same camp as the Edmonton Coin Club article: attribution not proven.

Coins and Canada website, while does have its usefulness for novice collectors, it is not a valid reference.

Mark Bink's article (Edmonton Numismatic Society) is numismatic research, and I would put much more value in that as a reference. Even if the origin does become known at some point, Mark's article will likely be cited as an information source.
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Valued Member
United States
366 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2021  01:07 am  Show Profile   Check daltonista's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

So, still nothing conclusive. Bink certainly does a thorough research job (including a review of the literature) and gives us a lot to contemplate, but he ends up with the shipwreck theory, which is basically unsupported by anything beyond conjecture. That could explain how the association with Anticosti *might have* materialized out of thin air in 1890, but I guess we still don't know who issued this piece or where.

I appreciate the input!

The saga continues...

I never pay too much for my tokens...but every now and then I may buy one a little too soon.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
583 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2021  3:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t_y to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I toy with the idea that this is some sort of game token or spielgelt. Just because of design and denomination similarities with some other pieces, issue date, size and metal used plus the fact that some historic characters involved were gamblers - but absolutely NO evidence.

In my opinion, the only certainty is that we will never know.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1782 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2021  4:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also am puzzled by this coin with very little hard evidence of where it come from and what it was used for, but when I seen one and had a chance to own one I jumped on it and I'm happy to add it to my collection.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1666 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2021  09:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
https://www.NGCcoin.com/price-guide...duid-1302949

This is your the same coin and info, 1870 Quebec 1/8th penny. Never seen this before thanks:(
Edited by Wrekkdd
08/22/2021 09:59 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3923 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2021  10:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Again, NGC has depended upon conjecture. It's like getting a definition off of social media and printing it as fact.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1666 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2021  10:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ooo, my apologies I just researched it quick and found that. I guess I should be more aware of where the information is sited from when looking up any website.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
583 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2021  10:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t_y to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since pointed me by another collector, all pieces I ever saw (not that many and most by pictures only) have a 'doubled' 8 (re-entry?) and at least 3 pimples in the obverse planchet.

Mine is an optimistic NGC MS64RB. Not a rare grade but a quite nice coin. I love it
Valued Member
United States
366 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2021  11:56 am  Show Profile   Check daltonista's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I'm concurring with everyone so far that conjecture and speculation are still all we have on this "so-called token." I do recall reading somewhere a long time ago that no one's seen examples in the marketplace that show signs of significant circulation, virtually all showing up in EF or better condition, and no reports have surfaced anywhere that it's ever changed hands in commerce...outside of the collecting world we all live in, that is.

It pops up in online searches with a citation to a June 2020 Stacks/Bowers sale, where it was listed as "CH-250." Can one of our fellow CCF members out there fill the rest of us in on what Charlton has to say about it, if anything?

What got me started looking into this little bit of exonumismalogical mystery? Earlier this year I came across two specimens that changed hands for big bucks (about $500 and $1600) as part of the Heritage Auctions Partrick sales, one in Part 1 and the other in Part 2. I'd forgotten I still had one of my own. Interestingly, HA labeled them "Patterns" with no further attribution or sourcing for that....just adding to the general unfounded and irresponsible rumormongering, in my humble opinion. (Harsh, I know...)

Best to all!
Tom

Valued Member
Canada
170 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  11:24 am  Show Profile   Check ainsivalavie's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ainsivalavie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Daltonista: It pops up in online searches with a citation to a June 2020 Stacks/Bowers sale, where it was listed as "CH-250." Can one of our fellow CCF members out there fill the rest of us in on what Charlton has to say about it, if anything?

According to some, there are clues pointing to a Honduras origin (Minted by the Paris Mint). But personally, I've never been convinced.

And to answer Daltonista, I don't know what the reference is, but it's not from the Charlton catalogs. From memory, I don't think it is listed in any Charlton catalog.

And on the CoinsandCanada website, there is a mistake. Since the specifications given are those of the MT-4 token (Breton #567).
Sorry if my English is not perfect, I'm still learning...
Edited by ainsivalavie
09/21/2021 11:31 am
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 1,336Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05