Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1978 D Mint Mark Multiple Errors

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 391Next Topic  

United States
14 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2021  02:31 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Tkauai to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey guys I have a 1978 D Mint mark penny. I'm trying to find out if this is a error coin. I think it has several errors on it.
First the round punch marks on face then at the outer edge after
The word trust some type of stamp ove letters also on back of coin as well. And there's also some type of over spill lump on the back as well. What do you guys think? and what should I do?
Edited by Tkauai
08/27/2021 02:33 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3238 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2021  03:07 am  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

This looks more like damage than any type of error. The fact that the punched marks on the obverse have corresponding pushed out areas on the reverse shows as Post Strike Damage.

Someone really abused this coin.
ANA Member ID: 3203813 - CONECA Member ID: N-5637
"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime. All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time." Tom Waits-Clap Hands

Bedrock of the Community
United States
41329 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2021  05:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
and I agree with PMD.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
United States
14 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2021  05:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tkauai to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys!!!!
Pillar of the Community
United States
5638 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2021  08:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, post strike damage--not errors.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
18297 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2021  08:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20417 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2021  09:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Discard that coin and note it is just damaged.
just carl
Learn More...
United States
20955 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2021  10:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@tka, rather than do this as a poll, it is better to just ask the questions that you have. I've taken care of this for you on this thread and will also move it over to the most appropriate subforum.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United States
14 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2021  10:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tkauai to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all!!
Pillar of the Community
United States
661 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2021  11:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
just PMD
Elliot Mitchell
Experienced coin roll hunter with 5+ years in the hobby
My Registry Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/334324/
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/408555
ANA # 3204217
CONECA # Y-6505
Learn More...
United States
105008 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54069 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2021  3:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Note on your coin the incuse marks on it. If just one of those marks were on the coin, it would be considered a cull coin. So when you find examples like these, I toss them without a look. If it were a variety coin, the value would be reduced by 90%. So to me they don't get inspection at all. I through them back into circulation.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 391Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05