Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Just Received A New Book On The US Type Coin Collection Of The Tyrant

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 542Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
8555 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2021  1:06 pm Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I ordered a new book during the ANA show, after watching the online streamed presentation of the Tyrant U.S. type coin collection narrated by John Dannreuther on Facebook. The Tyrant collections have been formed over the decades by Ira Goldberg of Goldberg Auctions for his client "the Tyrant" a mid-western US collector, who wishes to remain anonymous.

He has already created one of the most valuable coin collections in existence. The collection is not complete but the coins it does contain are just about the finest known examples anywhere. I am absolutely floored by the quality of the examples in his collection so far. There is a really nice website with wonderful photos taken by Goldberg coin photographer Lyle Engleson that anyone can visit for free.

https://thetyrantcollection.com/u-s...-collection/

Goldberg Coins & Collectibles, Inc. has produced 7 books so far in total covering the parts of the collection (mostly ancient coinage) that have been previously displayed. The book I ordered was the US Type Coins from the Tyrant Collection.

It is a small format book 5.5" x 8" with 252 pages in a soft card covers. Each coin is shown with obverse and reverse photos that are approximately 1.25" each or about half dollar sized.

I do wish the book was available in a coffee table format, that would better show off the wonderful photography Lyle has done of these amazing coins. Like the website each coin has a description written about it. The grade and service which graded that particular coin along with a short provenance where available. Many of these coins are the finest known and can't be improved. I know the US Gold Eagle section alone of the Tyrant collection was insured for $60 million, this part must be close to $200 million at least. There are still five more ancient sections of the collection which I have no idea of value but assume it is similar.

The book cost only $10.00 and the shipping was included, I received in within 5 days of placing the order via the website and paying with PayPal. I wouldn't say there is much different from the website, with the exception of a few typos I found online that were not in the book. The coins are actually much easier to see in detail online, than in the small book format, but still I like the book for a quick look up of a coin to see it's grade. I think I would mostly use the website as long as it is available for online use.

For the $10.00 it's not a bad deal, I would pay four or five times that for a large edition book and I feel it would be much better, so hoping they produce one down the road in the fuFollowing is the link to the video stream Amanda Miller of the ANA made with John Dannreuther presenting a walk around the Tyrant collection on display at the ANA World's Fair of Money in Rosemont, IL. which I watched live and mention above.

I suggest having the Tyrant Collection website open in a separate window to see the coins as John discusses them, (the video doesn't really let you see much), if you don't have a copy of the book to follow along with. The stories and anecdotes about them are wonderful to listen to as you look at them. John was instrumental in putting the collection together, his daughter is the manager of the traveling show display, and John himself has previously owned or brokered many of these coins in the past, so he has some crazy stories about some of them that he shares.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=147662977508853

I hope you all get a chance to look at the coins in the collection via the website of order the book, it's an amazing collection.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
09/01/2021 1:07 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62938 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2021  1:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks indeed for this.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4382 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2021  1:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@westcoin, thanks for the great post and website. After looking at the collection I threw all my coins out.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8555 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2021  3:10 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hfjacinto! I feel the pain after looking at these then looking at my own coins. Thought I'd add in one more part the Tryrant Eagle Collection the only complete US Gold Eagle variety collection (1795-1804) ever completed, even Harry Bass and Louis Eliasberg did not finish.

q_MSnldyDH0

John Dannreuther (again) with my friend and host; David Lisot, Video Producer and owner of

http://www.cointelevision.com

This exhibit displayed at the 2020 Long Beach Expo contains more than 300 gold Eagles and has every circulation strike from 1795 to 1933 with all the branch mint coins also represented. There are Proofs of nearly every issue including the ultra- rare 1804, 1838, 1839, and 1857 issues, as well as both 1907 No Motto Indian Head Proofs and the unique Matte finish 1909. There are dozens of finest known examples of both circulation strikes and Proofs.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

Edited by westcoin
09/01/2021 3:15 pm
Learn More...
United States
106559 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2021  3:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice!

Quote:
...formed over the decades by Ira Goldberg of Goldberg Auctions for his client...
I am so rich I can pay people to do my hobbies for me?

No thank you.
Valued Member
United States
395 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2021  4:23 pm  Show Profile   Check daltonista's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

A midwestern Tyrant? Probably one of the Walton Gang, the folks who founded and own Walmart. Or would that be "Tycoon?"

Great looking website! Not clear on one point: Is this preliminary to an auction or two?

Thanks, westcoin, for the heads-up.

I never pay too much for my tokens...but every now and then I may buy one a little too soon.

Learn More...
United States
106559 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2021  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Probably one of the Walton Gang
Arkansas is not mid-western.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8555 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2021  5:15 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am so rich I can pay people to do my hobbies for me?
No thank you.

Not exactly, Larry Goldberg was on two interesting podcasts about how the collection was formed. Larry and Ira are just the cogs in the machine.

No collection of this magnitude could be purchased by a single person, just the competition you would begin to encounter once word got out what you were doing and trying to accumulate. The extra you would need to pay once word got out you were bidding, it's not all super rare and expensive coins either, some modern and more common coins are included, but they all meet the criteria of finest or about the finest one could hope to acquire.

Coin Week Podcast: (Episode #91)
https://coinweek.com/coinweek-podca...ra-goldberg/
also come on Youtube so you can see the coins as Ira discusses them.
Rj7WjgRFFHI

Coin World Podcast: (Episode #10 starts around 19:55)
https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-o...d_ep010.html

While both interviews are interesting, I preferred the Coin World Podcast as they really ask some great questions that Charles didn't get into on the Coin Week podcast. Both are worth listening to. Worthy of a re-listen if it's been awhile since you heard these, they came out back in 2018. Put them on your phone and listen to them on an evening walk like I do.

There is some good explaining on how and why a dealer is needed to build a collection like this. It is all driven by the collector known only as the Tyrant, no he is not selling, nothing in his collection is for sale, and many upgrades have been made, yet not a single lesser coin has been sold at all. That fact really surprised me, as even D.L. Hansen has sold off his second and third line collections.

To get totally out of my realm of US coins see this clip with Ira showing off the Tyrants of the Seine simply fascinating...

ex7YIlgUhAY

Even though it's far out of my wheelhouse of knowledge it sure is an interesting and beautiful collection.

Edited by westcoin
09/01/2021 5:26 pm
Learn More...
United States
106559 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2021  5:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Not exactly
My basis for what I said...

"The Tyrant collections have been formed over the decades by Ira Goldberg of Goldberg Auctions for his client..."

I read this as the collector being uninvolved. "Here is a list. Here is my money. Got get my coins."

I do understand getting dealers to BOLO your list items. I really need to read this book or digest the podcast to form a more accurate opinion on the matter.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4382 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2021  6:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
HFJacinto goes to coin shop and finds 2 coins he needs for his collection.

HFJacinto has to make a decision. Does he buy the XF 40 coin or does he stretch to get XF45?

The "tyrant" send his dealer to a coin shop.

They find 2 coins that are top of pop.

The "tyrant" has a decision to make.

Does he buy just the whole inventory of the coin shop or does he buy the actual coin shop.
Learn More...
United States
21428 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2021  9:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@west, thx for starting this thread.

As I listened to the descriptions of the French coins, I am blown away by the depth *and* breadth of this collection. We all have our areas of focus and over time these sometimes shift but this collection spans many disparate interests. Absolutely fascinating!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Learn More...
United States
106559 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2021  09:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Does he buy just the whole inventory of the coin shop or does he buy the actual coin shop.
That was a good laugh. I needed that.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4999 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2021  10:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Pillar of the Community
United States
8555 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2021  8:39 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My basis for what I said...

"The Tyrant collections have been formed over the decades by Ira Goldberg of Goldberg Auctions for his client..."

I read this as the collector being uninvolved. "Here is a list. Here is my money. Got get my coins."

I do understand getting dealers to BOLO your list items. I really need to read this book or digest the podcast to form a more accurate opinion on the matter.

I get you jbuck, I worded that pretty poorly. I am under the impression that the Tyrant is a collector himself and not just ordering the "best" from dealers. It is mentioned in both podcasts that he is not marketing these for sale, in fact he has upgraded many coins and has never sold a single duplicate. Take that for what it's worth, he obviously has a lot of money, a lot. He also had a large haphazard collection when Ira and he discussed focusing on doing something more than just buying random coins, or going down the path of series collecting.

I also wanted to clear up the mention of "Lyle" most of you probably didn't even catch that in my original post.

Lyle Engleson is the principal photographer and head designer at Goldberg Auctions & Collectibles, Inc., he put the website together and made the books that Goldberg is selling for the Tyrant. He is the guy that makes Goldberg catalogs look as fantastic as they do, if you've never looked at a Goldberg auction catalog you are missing out.

And just found another video interview with Larry Golderg on the Tyrant US Type Collection among other items - Col. Ellsworth Sale, NYIC Sale information featuring a "Portrait Collection" talks on grading, marketplace activity, etc.

abq7UgeO-xk

Edited by westcoin
09/09/2021 9:23 pm
Learn More...
United States
106559 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2021  2:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great follow-up post!

I can relate to the not selling upgraded duplicates.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 542Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: