Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1917 Lincoln Wheat Cent Bad Shape, But?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 544Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
721 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2021  03:47 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Minnimarine to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I know this is really really circulated, but I got to check because of mainly the date. I can see the splits On the nine, and one. Also the eye and tip of the nose I barely see DD, split in the I of IN, I believe I see a Die Scratch the TY in liberty, and a weak Die Scratch on the bottom of the second U in UNUM "I Think" Sorry about your eyes straining, but I had to ask. Thank You!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1224 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2021  07:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would say that everything you are seeing is just circulation flattening and damage.
-makecents-
Pillar of the Community
United States
721 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2021  08:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Minnimarine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Makescent unfortunately that can't even be agued. Saw most under a scope and if I zoom in any closer with pictures you won't see anything at all. Well I didn't want most my evening staring at it to go to waste. Thank you!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
64326 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2021  09:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At this stage of wear, it would be difficult to distinguish between circulation flattening and DD, I'm guessing.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2810 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2021  09:29 am  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WADR but

Quote:
but I had to ask

Quote:
unfortunately that can't even be agued

Well then, there doesn't seem much point in "asking" if you are not prepared to hear any opinions that are contrary to your pre determined outcome.
I am not sure that you understand what die scratches are if you think that you see them on this coin.
As far as whether you have a doubled die there, I can't tell. It might be. But at that level of wear it will be hard to prove it one way or the other.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55454 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2021  09:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well the top of the '7' looks correct. (Not the same coin as Minnimarine's)

But there is a a lot of circulation on the OP's coin. Probably checking the motto devices would be the next step. But value would be slim because of the extreme circulation wear.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
2715 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2021  10:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think you are on to something with this one minnimarine.
Pillar of the Community
United States
721 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2021  3:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Minnimarine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@BigSilver I don't understand your reply. If I didn't want to here your opinions I most certainly would not post and ask. I compared this coin to three different references. In hand you can see more then what You can with pictures. No I can't argue with Makecents statement as I am fully aware of the circulation of the coin as I stated in the original comment and his reply is much appreciated. Am I not able to ask on a forum that has numerous members to see if maybe one or a couple might see something? The coin intrigues me and I am assuming if you have questions regardless of how ridiculous you might think they are a member should be able to ask. If a topic don't peak your interest, then why reply with what seems to be negative, and discouraging reply?
Thank you coop for pointing out the flattening. I understand the thickness on the vertical line on the seven now from your reply. It was simple, basic, and encouraged further inspection of a coin for a young enthusiast. I'm not young.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1224 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2021  4:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've had many a 1917 make me do a double take, where the 7 catches a lot of circulation. This won't be the last one that messes with you.
-makecents-
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55454 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2021  7:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin wear pretty much hides what is really going on with this coin.

I tried.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2810 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2021  10:47 am  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Minnimarine I am sorry that my post was perceived as rude. That was not my intention at all. I do not discourage people to ask and I did not do that in my post to you. I only discourage people from falling in the trap of coming with a predetermined answer which they will not be swayed from by any amount of convincing. We've all seen many posters here make a claim and defend to the bitter end. One of the most common arguments made is the "you can't know because you don't see it in hand". If one is asking others for their opinion, based on the evidence that they are providing, they cannot negate any dissenting opinions based on the evidence which is unseen to the respondent.
Once again, I apologize if my manner was rude.
Pillar of the Community
United States
721 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  6:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Minnimarine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ Bigsilver I want to apologize to you for my outburst. I took you post wrong at that time and I do apologize for my actions.
@ Coop I offer the same as well as that was not my intention. I do know both where trying to help.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55454 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  6:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With the circulation wear, we might never know for sure, or be able to prove either way on this one. Back in that time period a lot of coins were circulated and worn as the collecting of quantities had started. More in the 1940 were rolls saved. But back then It was harder to save coins as they were mostly what people lived on at that time. Back then a cent was possibly like a 50 cent coin today, or maybe even a dollar. Money was tight then. Mostly spent.
Richard S. Cooper

Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 544Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: