Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Are There Series You Prefer To Collect Circulated Rather Than Mint State?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 634Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
129 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2021  11:48 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Pmint1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am putting together the highest grade Morgan set I can afford as well as a circulated set with nothing over EF and many in good to fine . I like the circulated dollars because they were actually used by real people decades ago. I like the history. On the same theme I've recently discovered a fondness for Philippine Peso coins that were minted in the USA. I like these cleaned as I imagine they were sea salvaged after all the silver was dumped in Manila bay during world war 2 to keep the Japanese from getting the silver. Actual history in your hands.
Any one else out there occasionally prefer circulated coins over pristine mint state and if so what series and why?
Learn More...
United States
105093 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2021  12:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I like the circulated dollars because they were actually used by real people decades ago. I like the history.
This is why my 7070 (US Type set) has mostly circulated coins.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19151 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2021  12:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any coin that was originally put into circulation but has survived in high MS++ condition is rare, and thus valuable.
That is especially so for coins before about 1950, before coin collecting became a popular hobby.

Also explains why I collect coins that were actually used as money, right back to 2,500 years ago, when coins were invented. That's numismatic history for you.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
9363 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2021  03:47 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with you about Morgan dollars. I find a nice honest circulated VF to EF specimen usually looks nicer than a low MS one that has lots of lustre but also lots of marks on Miss Liberty's cheek.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15998 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2021  08:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would rather collect circulated Flowing Hair Half Dollars than Uncirculated ones .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Pillar of the Community
United States
4230 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2021  08:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If money was no object I would like to have everything in Mint State but that is not realistic money wise, so majority of my collection is circulated.

I was going to try to do my 7070 in AU but that even that became costly.

The only sets I have all in MS are moderns, the ASE from 1986 to 2021 and the innovation dollars.
Edited by hfjacinto
09/06/2021 08:51 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2567 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2021  09:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A low f looks better than a ms-60 covered in bag marks.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20417 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2021  09:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I prefer coins that look new.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
283 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2021  10:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jimjumper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are collectors that collect Trade dollars specifically for the "chop mark" and not the Trade dollar itself. They like the idea of that they circulated in Asia and then returned to the US.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17525 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2021  10:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS coins are pretty, but I prefer coins that have wear and show that they have done the job they were intended to do.
Gary Schmidt
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
418 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2021  10:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Price is the deciding factor for me. I prefer mint state coins when possible, but for any particular coin I buy the highest grade I can afford. The history of a very worn coin is great, but for me the most important factor is having a coin which has the least wear and which best shows the original design elements. That's why I also love old proof coins...

For large coins such as silver dollars or double eagles, I find MS60 or MS61 examples typically unattractive, so if my price cap falls in that range on a specific coin I'll target an AU55 or AU58 which can often have better eye appeal, in my opinion, while having very minimal wear on the design elements.
Edited by hokiefan_82
09/07/2021 10:37 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3118 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2021  10:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really comes down to the series, and two deciding obvious factors.
1. Which do I prefer aesthetically
2. Which is more cost efficient.

Bust half's wear well and I'll take a nice mid grade circ CAM any day over MS.
Morgan's I prefer the same OR MS64 on up (unless it's just a good deal). Not a fan of a huge price jump for an overly baggy MS62 when a nice AU has more eye appeal and sometimes half the price or more.

Pre '64 Washington quarters on the other hand, gorgeous is MS and easily obtainable cost wise, yet hideous IMHO below XF.

And of course, Buffalo nickels, great in any grade you can read a date

Collect what you'll enjoy and stay in your budget. There's plenty of options!
Valued Member
United States
63 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2021  2:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinnewcomer1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Walking Liberty halves I love in MS63 grade or higher and find most circulated ones not too impressive.

Memorial and Wheat cents can look good circulated, albeit not too well-circulated, if they afford some nice toning. Sometimes the circulated cents look much better than those in Mint sets from the 1960's to early 80's

Kennedy halves I prefer getting in circulation but again Au or high XF. As with Lincoln cents, Kennedy in Mint sets can be in pretty ugly shape despite technically "MS".

The old copper cents prior to 1860 can look good in a wide range of grades from circulated to uncirculated.
United States
33 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2021  11:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add russell1256 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Circulated coins are my favorite, my complete circulated Walking Liberty half set would have cost be more then 10 times what it did. I am also interested in the Philippine Peso coins that were minted in the USA, I am struggling to find a checklist of them, do you have one?
Valued Member
United States
129 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2021  9:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pmint1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
United States
129 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2021  9:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pmint1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It doesn't look complete though. I know they minted earlier dates.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 634Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05