Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1878 7/8 Tf "Strong"

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
5033 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2009  01:54 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I just won a prize in our monthly coin club raffle. It is an 1878 Morgan graded PCGS MS-62 and designated "7/8 TF Strong". I can easily see 4 and possibly 5 extra feather tips below the edges of the main tail feathers. I'll take some pictures and post them when I have a chance.

How many different "over tailfeathers" VAMs have been identified for this year? Are there significant differences between them? Also, can anyone give me an idea about value?

Oh yes, as a prize winner I think I'm entitled to some fruit!

Pillar of the Community
United States
5318 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2009  02:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KurtS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats! That sounds like a very cool prize!
Learn More...
United States
14454 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2009  07:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
quite a few! if I had to guess without looking I would say around 30 or 40
Pillar of the Community
United States
2748 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2009  08:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SeatedNut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jaobler, Congratulations on your prize! The "strong" 7/8's are pricier than the "weak" 7/8's without the VAM consideration. There are currently 23 VAMs for the 7/8 reverse if you are inclined to go with VAMWorld on what constitutes a 7/8. They lump the 7/0 reverse in this category (VAMs 30, 31, 43, and 45). The strong reverse VAMs are 34, 34A, 36, 37, 38, 39, 39A, 40, 41, and 41B. Unfortunately, the two priciest 7/8 VAMs (32 and 44/44A) are weak reverses. Post up some pictures and we'll nail it for you.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5033 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2009  12:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks SeatedNut! Tonight I'll see how good my camera is at capturing small details.

I just inspected this coin under a microscope at work and it appears that it is a DDO. The obverse stars, E PLURIBUS UNUM, and LIBERTY all appear to be pretty strongly doubled. The date does not appear doubled, except for possibly a slight notch visible at the top right corner of the 7. I don't see any doubling on the reverse. There are 5 distinct feather tips visible below the 7 tailfeathers.

Based on a quick look at VAMWorld I'm guessing this is probably VAM-38. Hopefully I'll get some pictures posted tonight or tomorrow.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2748 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2009  2:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SeatedNut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would also put a bet on 38. It has some awesome obverse doubling. Check between the eagle's right leg and wing (your left). The 38 features a fairly prominent gap.
Learn More...
United States
23520 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2009  6:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VAM-38:

Any questions?
Pillar of the Community
United States
5033 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2009  9:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Dave,
Great photos (as usual!) and yes, that's what I have. I'll still try to post some good photos of the main diagnostic features. Gotta exercise the camera some more!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1407 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2009  12:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wwhitman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ya SuperDave,
I have a question.
or maybe a suggestion:
Why don't ya send that coin to me for a CLOSER INSPECTION!!

Excellent pic and coin
Pillar of the Community
United States
5318 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2009  1:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KurtS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice doubling on the obverse too.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1267 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2009  2:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bonedigger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's pretty cool.

Ben
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1011 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2009  4:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nuggethill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice one SD
Pillar of the Community
United States
2838 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2009  8:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgans dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ahhh you have just got to love a Morgan with a beautiful die break like that, Very nice , she certainly is a prize!!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2669 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2009  8:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add xshift to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had what I thought was a nice VAM 38 (sold as a different VAM), strong, but it came back as 'cleaned' from PCGS. At least they verified the 'strong' part .. just not the VAM . They could have at least done that, since it was paid for!

Jaobler, congrats on your prize! Patiently awaiting pictures
Pillar of the Community
United States
5033 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2009  6:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It took awhile, but here are photos of my prize. I could not get acceptable enlargements of the cool doubled features and my photo details can't compare to SuperDaveS product. Still, there is no question this coin is also the VAM-38 variety.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05