Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Long And Short 1953 $2 Bills. Differences Between Two Consecutive Bills.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 321Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
252 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2021  7:31 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add yontan to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Going through my two dollar bills, I noticed a discrepancy I have no explanation for. I have 16 crisp uncirculated consecutive notes, and one in the middle is longer than any of the others. Please check the pictures. You will see that there is a real difference. There is an overall 2 centimeter difference , both on the front and reverse of the bills#75 is longer, and #76 is shorter. Please help me with this.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
11635 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2021  8:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is it possible to somehow stretch a bill after it was cut?
If you look at the printing, it is also longer which means
it must have happened after it was printed.
Also there is no way when a stack of bills are cut
on the guillotine that one could be longer.
Valued Member
United States
180 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2021  10:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HappyHippo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think you mean there is a 2 cm difference. That is close to three quarters of an inch! 2 mm maybe?

Regardless, that is very curious.
Edited by HappyHippo
09/11/2021 10:36 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3327 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2021  07:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I occasionally see minor differences in the older, damp printed notes. The sheets are dampened twice. Once before the first print. Then left to dry. Then dampened again for the second print and again left to dry before the overprint. I've heard that different shrinkage rates explain some of the minor differences.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
11635 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2021  07:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is it possible then that all the other sheets shrunk except for this one?
I never thought of that. Seems more feasible than one stretching.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
601 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2021  07:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool! I wonder if the paper mix could be off, and allow it to dry and shrink differently? I looked it up and it's suppose to be 75% cotton and 25% linen. Maybe a bill's version of when a coin's alloys can be mixed wrong?
-makecents-
Valued Member
United States
252 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2021  11:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yontan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to all of you. I appreciate your thoughts. I'm going to submit these pictures to officials at the BEP and see what they say, and happy hippo, you were correct- I meant 2 millimeters.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3327 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2021  1:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The technical specifications of security paper used for the printing of United States paper money is rigorous. These are just three pages out of a dozen with technical specifications.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1147 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2021  2:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How do the notes compare to others outside the group? Perhaps someone trimmed all but one of your notes.
Valued Member
United States
252 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2021  10:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yontan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actually I tested 58 bills. 1953 16 bills, 1953-A 8 bills, 1953-B 8 bills, and 1953-C 26 bills. The 1953 bills have just the one longer, 1953-A have two longer, 1953-B none were longer, and 1953-C two are longer. All longer bills have the same measurements as the original 1953 bill. The reason I singled out the 1953 is because it was the only one in a sequence with shorter bills. after checking again I found that number 75 has a plate number H4 in the lower right corner, while number 75 has H1 in the corner. Conversely, number 75 has a rear plate number 398 on the mid right, while number 76 has 399. Not being a "true" paper money collector, I do not yet know what this signifies. Thanks for continuing to try to unravel the explanation.
Valued Member
United States
252 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2021  10:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yontan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to Steve in tampa, there do not seem to be any note lengths given, only sheet widths and lengths, but thanks. Bill.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3327 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2021  01:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
to Steve in tampa, there do not seem to be any note lengths given, only sheet widths and lengths, but thanks. Bill.

The specifications written about above were for the suppliers of security paper to the BEP. Once the BEP received the paper (on pallets) it was up to them to print, cut, package and distribute the finished product.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 321Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05