Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1882 S Morgan For Thoughts

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 561Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
849 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2021  1:49 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
You versus PCGS Old Green holder.
I think she is graded correctly or maybe a half a grade higher was in order.
Hopefully you can judge good enough by the pics.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61580 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2021  1:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you show us an image with better lighting on the cheek and neck?
Pillar of the Community
United States
849 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2021  1:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coinfrog Iwill try and get one in a bit , on the way to the movies.
This was with natural light in my big window , I will try and take one with my table lamp
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61580 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2021  2:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3089 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61580 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2021  6:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are cheek and neck issues that don't come up well in the obverse pic.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9952 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2021  7:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I already know so I'll exclude myself.
1883-O Nut
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2391 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2021  7:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A few small dings on the cheek and neck, and two dings in the field near the chin and west of the eye. The reverse has scattered contact marks, east of the eagle's left wing (our visual right), west of the eagle's right wing, and near the bow.

This may be an acid treated die VAM, maybe VAM-34? The die polishing marks and pitting looks fairly close, except I can't make out the designer's initial area very well, and that's the key marker. The eye looks acid treated.

A lot of 1882-S Morgans in OGH holders are slabbed at 63 or 64. This is definitely well above 63. Overall, I could see this in an MS-64 OGH, but it looks like a modern MS-65. Nice coin.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61580 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2021  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Surely this not a 65.
Pillar of the Community
United States
849 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2021  7:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Coinfrog most my other pics come out the same . Here are a few blasting light on it haha. I will say this is a pretty nice one in hand. My photo skills need work.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1784 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2021  9:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add southsav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll go 64
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
596 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2021  9:18 pm  Show Profile   Check farrider11's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add farrider11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS 64
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

My Set Registry

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61580 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2021  9:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now we have too much glare.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19097 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2021  12:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Flat impact over Lib's eyebrow.
Not sure if the TPGrader would have noticed.
Can't be a high point light strike, because there are no other high points like this, on either side.

Without that problem, this coin would have otherwise graded at
MS-64.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10683 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2021  08:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm at MS64 also on this one.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1088 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2021  10:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ham1947 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice. I'd say MS65.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 561Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05