Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This 1909-S Indian Head Cent Real Or Fake?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 623Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2021  1:49 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Peaceman1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello All,
I am curious if this 1909-S Indian cent is real or a fake?
It weighs 3.1g and looks good. Not sure on the mintmark. Has small cud in between E and N of Cent on reverse. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Edited by Peaceman1
09/14/2021 2:12 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60710 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2021  1:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A sharper pic if you have it, please, as well as one of the reverse.

to the CCF!
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2021  2:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Peaceman1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you! I figured out posting picks lol
Learn More...
United States
103710 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60710 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2021  2:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I personally would never buy this date raw. Counterfeits abound.
Edited by Coinfrog
09/14/2021 5:30 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
579 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2021  5:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RedRaider to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does not appear to be genuine. Detail is coming off mushy, but generally this coin is struck well except for a few feathertips. Stay away from this date unless you really know what to look for or buy graded and certified.
Learn More...
United States
34862 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2021  5:40 pm  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My free opinion:

NOT genuine
Show your support of the Coin Community Family (click here)
Pillar of the Community
United States
987 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2021  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thecoinguy1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There's lots of knowledge here on this site, heed their advice wisely.
"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his house, his possessions are safe."
- Luke 11:21
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2021  7:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Peaceman1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I thought so, S top serif wrong and mushy and the flake on the reverse...
Thank you all for your Input!
Valued Member
United States
237 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2021  9:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very mushy details, and strange color in my opinion.
I would keep it in my "FAKE" jar and use it as a learning tool. Go with your gut if you believe something is counterfeit.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7344 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2021  12:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Flag went up when I first saw it. Mushy details.

You can always look (search engine) at a PCGS picture of a certified one, put it side by side on the screen with a pic of yours and enjoy playing Sherlock Holmes by noting the find details such as serif shapes, letter spacing, (with IHC's I know some fakes had the lowest feather pointing at the wrong device sometimes).

I you know how, a graphic overlay with transparency will almost always detect where the devices do not line up on a fake.

The slabbed Half dollar No FG farce: Download No-FG half vs. Grading Company Claims report here:
https://tinyurl.com/yalrstjz or higher resolution version: https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4351 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2021  01:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Details look right but the color is definitely off. If genuine, I'd say AU details. Might be worth sending to be graded. How did you acquire it? Usually "too good to be true" deals are too good to be true.
Edited by fenton
09/15/2021 01:41 am
Learn More...
United States
34862 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2021  10:38 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it comes back genuine, then I'll eat a raw brussels sprout smothered in horseradish.
Show your support of the Coin Community Family (click here)
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60710 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2021  10:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That IS punishment!
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2021  11:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Peaceman1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe I found origin. Ecrater 1909-s copy 14.99, Check them out.... has something in between the E and N on reverse, extra metal like a cud from spark laser etc. Little pieces on obverse and reverse. The top of S mintmark missing tip of serif, mushy, color off just a hint, to many issues to grade. I will follow good advice. Found in a huge bag of wheaties...
Learn More...
United States
103710 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2021  12:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That IS punishment!
That is good eats!

Okay, so roasted with garlic would be better.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 623Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05