Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1884-CC Morgan For Grading. Raw.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 440Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
4416 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2021  11:31 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
64+?

Pillar of the Community
United States
3448 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2021  12:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A bit blurry and hard to tell what's going on around the chin, but MS-65 seems possible.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3622 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2021  12:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pics of coin out of the holder would help
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2477 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2021  12:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The angle of the obverse pic makes it a bit tough. The obverse has a few contact marks. There is heavy scuffing at the truncation and the chin, and lighter contact marks on the neck and cheek, and a small ding on the first "U" of PLURIBUS. The fields west of the portrait are not clearly visible. On the reverse, the central devices look nice. There is some chatter in the field between the eagle's left wing (our visual right) and the wreath and again near the left wreath and "UN" of UNITED. The rest of the fields east of the eagle are difficult to see. The coin has a bit of a soft strike. It is hard to assess the appearance of the surface. The edge toning suggests an old album coin or GSA holder coin.

From what I can see, the obverse looks MS-63 and the reverse MS-64. I'm thinking net MS-63 right now. My opinion may very well change with clearer photos.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2679 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2021  1:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS65
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62703 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2021  4:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sure looks a solid 65 or better to me.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10036 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2021  5:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
64+ seems reasonable to me. I do like the rim toning...
1883-O Nut
Valued Member
United States
417 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2021  6:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add howell1018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This appears to be an extremely rare issue from the mint in Culver City, California which only operated from 1884-5. All of their production was believed to have been destroyed in the Great Pacoima Earthquake of 1884. Looks like a keeper!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3253 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2021  6:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm with dave, MS64+ and like the light peripheral gold toning.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19250 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2021  8:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pictures a bit blurry.
Perhaps it is not surprising that there is a range of opinions.

MS-63, but would not be surprised if it is actually a higher grade.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10851 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2021  10:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the 84(CC) have strong bold strikes and this one is pretty close with only a tad weakness around the ear. the peripheral gold toning is a bonus and very symmetrical which will bump the eye appeal component. surface preservation is pretty good with just a few scuffs here and there but the of focus photos could be hiding anything. it does appear that there are some marks on the chin/jaw area and a few on the neck. luster appears to be full but again lighting and and the focus could be hiding breaks. this coin should come back at MS64 and if all the issues listed are because of the lighting and haze a good shot at MS65. the difference between 64 and 65 is only about $100
Pillar of the Community
United States
832 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  4:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-64
Elliot Mitchell
Experienced coin roll hunter with 5+ years in the hobby
My Registry Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/334324/
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/408555
ANA # 3204217
CONECA # Y-6505
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 440Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: