Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1964 D Washington Quarter - Having A Hard Time Grading - AU Or Bu?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 525Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2021  5:38 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CoinMan2003 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

Out of the coins I'm learning - this washington seems hard to identify wear spots on the design. Having trouble telling if eagle chest worn or mint, and the hair on George if it is showing any wear or mint. Are washingtons harder than others?

Trying to come up with a grade on this. Definitely has the luster of BU but not sure on details. Thanks!

Edited by CoinMan2003
09/18/2021 5:41 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3616 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2021  6:10 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure if it even makes AU.. looks like a bullion coin to me.. There are way nicer examples available for bullion prices.
Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2021  6:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinMan2003 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey silverwolf - thanks for input. Upon inspection of the rim edging - it looks funkier than a normal quarter. I think you are right.

It looks a little thicker too.

I bought this at an auction - sight unseen as a BU quarter. What exactly is this? Is this a counterfeit quarter?

Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2021  6:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinMan2003 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I ended up with a counterfeit eagle one time from an auction. I noticed some problems with it - checked it with magnet and it flunked - got refunded. I never would have thought a quarter would be counterfeited.
Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2021  7:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinMan2003 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Silverfox,

How did you come to the bullion conclusion? Would like to know what I should be looking for.

Also, these two dimes came from same auction/estate - what are your thoughts on these - are these legit?

Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2021  7:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinMan2003 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
two dimes stacked - rims look a bit different

Im thinking one real - one fake
quarter fake too

tried magnet on them - none stuck to magnet.
United States
31 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2021  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
How did you come to the bullion conclusion?

What silverwolf meant was that since this quarter is 90% silver, it will always have an intrinsic value based on the precious metal content. Because of its condition, it carries no additional numismatic premium above what it could be melted for. Thus, it is essentially a silver bullion coin and good to hold on to for the precious metal content.
Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2021  8:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinMan2003 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
oh - :)

Thanks for the clarification.

Im just real paranoid about my purchases from this one auction - so far nothing has panned out as it was advertised. So it wouldn't surprise me if I ended up with some fakes along with it!!

But something about this quarter doesn't make sense to me. How could it have such luster - I mean it shines - and yet be lacking in detail?

The history I'm getting so far from this estate - is the guy must have been buying cleaned coins that someone was marking up to higher grades and selling them to him - way above what the grade really was.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2679 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2021  8:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Post a pic of the mint mark. It looks like a nice rpm.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2679 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2021  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
United States
2679 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2021  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Better pic needed.
Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2021  8:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinMan2003 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
United States
2679 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2021  12:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see a match for this.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3480 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2021  12:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are hairlines on the obverse of the quarter, so it's probably AU details, cleaned, i.e. bullion value. I don't see any signs that either of the Mercury dimes are counterfeit.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2679 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2021  1:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Both dimes look real.
Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  11:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinMan2003 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for input.
Thanks FordMan for pointing out a possible RPM.

I had no idea what that is - so I looked it up.

I am having trouble seeing anything with my eye. I will be ordering loupers. I took some more pics with zoom to see if that would make it clearer for you to see.

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 525Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: