Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Small Size US Currency Type Set - WWII Emergency Notes

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 497Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
400 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2021  7:38 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
As I've mentioned before in other threads, I've collected coins since the 1960's but only got into currency the past couple of years. In 2019, I acquired my first U.S. large size notes, but then in the Spring of 2020 decided to start picking up both Confederate notes and U.S. small size currency. I think I was a bit bored with being unable to travel due to COVID restrictions...

Completing the Confederate or any of the large-size series type sets will be a significant challenge, but the small size notes are a different story for most of the series.

I've managed to recently complete the WWII Emergency note type set (7 notes) and the Federal Reserve Bank Note type set (only 5 notes). I thought I'd share these sets on the forum. First will be the WWII notes...

Pillar of the Community
United States
4169 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2021  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful notes! I completed the same set early this year but nowhere in the same condition. Your missing the S and R silver certificates ;)
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61418 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2021  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A most impressive set for sure.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
400 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2021  7:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@hfjacinto - Thanks! I've got the experimental notes, as well, but have them lumped in with my Silver Certificate type set -

Pillar of the Community
United States
4169 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2021  8:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ha!

I considered them part of WWII as the paper was tested in case regular paper wasn't available because of the war.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4169 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2021  11:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I considered them part of WWII as the paper was tested in case regular paper wasn't available because of the war.

Really, I did not know that. Why test them, if the paper wouldn't be available not many other options, besides I thought the R notes were just regular paper. If that's correct, then why even put R notes into circulation, but the government doesn't really put much thought into anything they do. There were other experimental papers (for instance the Y and Z notes), but I've never read anything conclusive about such experiments.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3365 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  01:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Super nice sets, congratulations.

What kind of coins did you collect ?
Learn More...
United States
104611 Posts
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
400 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  12:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all, I really appreciate the kind remarks.

@SteveInTampa - I still collect coins, with my main focus being U.S. Type coins and secondary focus U.S. classic commemoratives. I'm at the point in both of these collections, however, where my progress the past few years has slowed considerably as most of what I'm missing are the higher-dollar items.

So, sliding over into collecting currency was sort of a way to ease some frustration caused by the lack of progress on my coin collections! I must say, I'm really enjoying this new adventure quite a lot...

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
479 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  1:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikev50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
very nice examples---
Valued Member
United States
152 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  1:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jonjrl1963 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
YES VERY NICE NOTES! What coins? I collect personally SEATED .10 .25 .50
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
400 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  2:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@jonjrl1963 - I'm primarily a U.S. type coin and classic U.S. commemorative collector. The Seated Liberty coins are among my favorites, and even for a basic type set there are quite a few to get!
Edited by hokiefan_82
09/20/2021 4:17 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
400 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  4:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There were other experimental papers (for instance the Y and Z notes), but I've never read anything conclusive about such experiments.

@jimbucks - I've heard various stories about what the S and R designations meant on these notes. Of course, if you're wanting to test the wear of different paper compositions, putting a big red "S" and "R" on them may not be the best way to do it, as people of course noticed that and started pulling them from circulation .
Valued Member
United States
152 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jonjrl1963 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh and I forgot- I collect Coins/Currency Philippines/U.S. 1903-1946
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
400 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  6:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2391 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  7:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@hokiefan_82, Fantastic collection! Beautiful notes in great condition.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 497Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05