Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1980 P Dime Collar Clash Possible Unlisted DDO?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 275Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Canada
2032 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2021  08:40 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm sure this will turn out as Die Deterioration or something else, I can see what appears to be doubling on the JS and the 9 in the date. The 9 is mainly what caught my eye but after zooming JS seems doubled. There is no double die listing for many years including this one for dimes so I have nothing to check for reference, what do you think? Worst case I have another collar clash, which seems really common on dimes compared to other denominations.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2517 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2021  09:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add levelsofmadnes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hello Wrekkdd

looks like a contact mark on the "9".

but the reverse maybe RDV-002 (proof design). two deep grooves on the torch.

i dont normally look at dimes so hopefully someone will chime in with more experience on this variety.

EDIT: looking at some other 1980 P dimes, this maybe normal for this year
Edited by levelsofmadnes
09/26/2021 10:00 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2032 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2021  10:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm sure I have another 1980 laying around, the RDV-002 is for 1970 when I look it up, nothing about 1980. As for the 9 possible contact marks, that's possible does not have the look to me, I don't know if the normal 9 is thicker then this one(would confirm contact mark). Worst case another collar clash observe. When it comes to American coins the amount I can get is limited to what I find in circulation Canadian rolls.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
41853 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2021  1:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks MD to me not a DDO.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2032 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2021  1:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't think MD would cause such a flare on the bottom of the 9, it looks almost separated but I can agree with the not DDO I think. Well another collar clash so I'll put it with the others.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4011 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2032 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2021  2:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think this is the 3rd or fourth collar clash I have found, still know very little about the double clash though mike explained in detail about it. It seems dimes are most common for them from my experience,(very limited) with American coins. I think I will release this one back into the Wild. If I keep saving the collar clashes I'll have a full roll of dimes in no time lol.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54561 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2021  2:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well cents and nickels don't have reeds on them. Just dimes, quarters, halves and dollars (Pre-Sac dollars and Prez Dollars with the incuse devices on the edge) Why did the 4 denominations have reeds on the edges?

So my next question in my mind was. What affect do the cents and nickels have when the edge of the die comes in contact with the collar when the hammer die is out of alignment? It causes wear on the outside of the die wearing away the outside area of the die. This is called die attrition. What does that look like when it happens for a long time?
Cents:

Nickels:

Quarters: (Looks like the wear also removes the dollars with reeds also)

So that is what your will see on the die that suffer that type of damage. The connection to this just hit me on this discussion. But the link to why that outside area gets affected just made a connection to me. Just connected that together just now. (The reason why the reeds would affect the dies, because of die miss alignment)

CoopHome: What causes die attrition and collar clashes?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2032 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2021  3:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very neat article Coop, thanks for the new info. I have wondered this many times before actually.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 275Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: