Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Investment Question And Your Thoughts

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 274Next Topic  
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2021  12:34 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add buddto to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
my daughter collects star bank notes, I'm holding $300 worth for her right now that are not really worth more the bill its on. if I found her a American Eagle 2021 One Ounce Silver Reverse Proof Two-Coin Set should I buy it for her? would this set be looked for 25 years from now ? or should I just buy silver or ASEs ?

Pillar of the Community
United States
4169 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2021  12:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welllll, if you purchased the American Eagle 2021 One Ounce Silver Reverse Proof Two-Coin Set from the mint at $175, you have as of today a 2 coin set worth about $300-$350. If you buy that set today you are paying about $300-$350.

I guess what you are asking what will that set be worth in 25 years? And the answer is no one knows. What ever they tell us just a guess.

For the positives it's the last and first year of a new issue, it's limited to 125k and ASE are currently popular, so it may be worth more than the current price.

For the negatives, several other ASE are close to the same mintage and while all had the same jump majority have fallen back to almost purchase price.

Currently 3 ASE are priced at multiplies of issue price, the 1995 W, 2019 S-ERP and 2020 V75, the others tend to float at around the same price.

If you really are looking to invest buy your daughter a low load SP500/or Russell index fund, they have returned about 8% on average per year.
Valued Member
United States
425 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2021  3:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PlumCrazy814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the current market price of the 2021 reverse proof set will go down once the "new thing" charm wears off. As is always the case, it boils down to the last 5 minutes of ownership as to if a collection is a good investment. If the final disposition is a quick sale to liquidate then paper will bring close to face and metal will bring close to melt. The investor has to be able to take the time and effort to offload the "investment" for market value. If you do not already have the two coin set I would recommend ASE's until the 2021 set drops in price if investment (or rather value retention) is the goal.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5350 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2021  4:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The general feeling is that coins are NOT a good investment, particularly modern coins.
Naturally there are occasional exceptions but I don't know of any.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1094 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2021  5:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add machine20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd recommend waiting for the next "big release" and purchasing it at issue price. Though the ASE set is cool, it probably won't be able to keep up with inflation in 25 years
Learn More...
United States
104611 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2021  5:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In my opinion, investments and coins do not mix. The appreciation I would focus on would be hers, so give her what she likes.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2976 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2021  5:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgans dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another View, I would Totally suggest buying the 2021 Two coin Silver ASE'S set. I would venture the longevity of it lasting for years to come and, It just might be worth more than the Purchased price, It also Would have a sentimental Value and who knows, She just might Become a Collector...... Be Well !!!!
Valued Member
United States
63 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2021  5:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add slappywhyte to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How old is she?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4010 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2021  6:08 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Never invest in coins . Buy coins for the enjoyment of the hobby .
Any financial gain is a bonus .
Take the money you were going to " invest " and put it into
Mutual funds for your daughter she will thank you !
This from a coin dealer of over 45 years .
Pillar of the Community
United States
3800 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2021  6:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If she collects Star notes, that is what she collects. She might be unhappy if you trade her collection in for a couple of hunks of metal.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 274Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05