Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1982 D Penny Input Please

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 277Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
163 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  04:58 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Texasstar12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Good morning. I think there is a few different things not right with this penny. Rim, I am thinking dd as well and the initials on reverse FG not there. So what I am asking is am I right or what do you call the things I noticed so far. And if I am correct do I put it up with the others that are worth saving or grade it. And it is 3.08 grams

Thank you
Dawn

Edited by Texasstar12
10/13/2021 05:21 am
Learn More...
United States
20861 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  06:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@tex, I'm seeing a bunch of circulation marks plus some evidence of this coin being struck by a tired die.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
5566 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  06:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, I'm seeing circulation dins/hits, along with light to moderate wear, and early Die Deterioration. Coin, perhaps, has a hint of (very) light acid exposure. What is the weight of the coin? Thanks.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
11969 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  06:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is nothing on that coin that would be considered an error.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
41224 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  07:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your coin in a word is a "spender". In future posts please make sure to properly rotate photos before posting...thanks.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
3326 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  08:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just your average large date 1982-D coin. You gave a lot of doodles on the coin pictures, but with the weight of the coin, so it is a copper cent. Of which still give it a value of about 1 cent
Edited by Dearborn
10/13/2021 08:11 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61508 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  09:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Doesn't seem to be anything unusual here.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53928 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  1:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The first image you are looking at the edges of the devices. That is where you will find Machine Doubling. Doubled dies are seen on the centers of the devices.
This example is of a 1983 cent DDRs/normal images of side by side comparisons:

Note the top image is of a normal coin. Next coin is a DDR, but not a strong example. Note the devices are a shade larger. (again we are looking at the centers of the deices, not on the outside edges) The bottom example is a strong DDR-001. Note the spread between the devices. These are created on the die during it creation. Machine Doubling is caused by the strike, and can alter a doubled die the same way as a normal coin example. Not a doubled die as the spread is not on the center of devices. Hope this helps.If not ask more questions. I want you to see, what I see on a coin. That is how you train your eyes. Also looking up the sites to see what really is a doubled die. Like a map, it won't help us, unless you take the time to use it.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
163 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  7:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Texasstar12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you everyone.
@ijn1944 it is 3.7/3.8 it bounced back and worth between 7 and 8.
@john1 which pic do I need to rotate?
also what about the initials FG on reverse.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
41224 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2021  04:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
@john1 which pic do I need to rotate?
#1 & 2

Quote:
also what about the initials FG on reverse.
Pic 3 & 4 still show the FG.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
163 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2021  12:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Texasstar12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
United States
7090 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2021  12:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Machine Doubling. No errors here.
ša va bien aller

Valued Member
United States
163 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2021  01:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Texasstar12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 277Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05