Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Brand New Collector-Microscope Delivered Today. Is This MD?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 217Next Topic  

United States
7 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  7:50 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Kwang to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
First, I want to say thank you for the help on the Chinese coin. Upon good advise, I did not purchase it. I appreciate all of you very much.

I am sorry to be so ignorant. I read many things online and look at many pictures but I am not sure when I look at DD's if it is MD or a true one. Please forgive me for asking but if someone could help explain me what I am seeing (in small words for a small girl), I will do my best to learn tonight.

Learn More...
United States
20861 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  8:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@kwang, I'm very glad to have you here and learning. From this pic, the only doubling that I see seems to be glare from the lighting. What are you seeing with the coin in hand?
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
644 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  8:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Based on the photo provided, it appears that you might have something cool. It would be very helpful to post sharp and clean photos of both the obverse and reverse, so we can see the whole coin and based on that help you get a better opinion.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53928 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  8:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61508 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  8:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like MD to me.

to the CCF!
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  8:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kwang to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello, Thank you Mr. coop, that helps a little. Does most newbies struggle with "seeing" the difference? Mr. Spence it has been a long day of place a coin under micro, YES! doubled! wait, doesn't look right, or does it? I am to the point where I have turned it off and took a bath.

Mr. Whatisit, this microscope is what I paid for it. Cheap. The stand is too short to raise it and get all of a coin. I can hold it but then it gets the whole coin but is blurred because I have been on a "microscoping coin binge" for 9 hours now.

I can honestly say when I look at some coins that are designated DDR or DDO many times I see NOTHING that looks doubled to me. And when I look at my own coins many many of them seemed to have some kind of doubling. MD, Die Deteration, etc. And also it is possible I am seeing in 3D from staring at a microscope for nearly 10 hours. I think maybe I should just say thank you, I'm sorry to bother all of you, and we revisit this another day/night because feel dumb that I do not know what I am seeing. SOrry!
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  8:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kwang to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you coinfrog
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
764 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  9:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats on your new scope, lighting is as important as your camera, though. It takes time, sometimes lots of time. Toy with the lighting you have, from different directions, different types of bulbs, different angles and different quantities of light. Depending on what you want to show on a coin, this can change too. All I can tell you for sure, is it takes time and patience, it's different for everyone, how they go about it.
-makecents-
Bedrock of the Community
United States
41224 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2021  04:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Kwang,
to CCF. You will need to practice a lot with any scope you use. Lighting will be a pain in the you know what. I have two scopes and had to block off all but one light on the scope and put a filter over that one. You can also try turning off the onboard lights and use natural light or a hand held LED flashlight with a filter on it. Check out the photo section here on CCF for ideas. Here is a link on the different types of doubling we all have to learn https://koinpro.tripod.com/Articles...Doubling.htm
Good luck and have fun.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
7090 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2021  6:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please always post photos of the entire coin, both sides, then close-ups of area you wish to ask about. Show us and then tell us what you see so we can help you better.

to the CCF!
ša va bien aller

Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 217Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.32 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05