Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Has This 1980 Lincoln Cent Been Cleaned, Dipped, Or Altered?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 338Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2021  2:57 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Villa Rose to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I found this in pocket change. The tone is unusually bright for a 40 year old-plus coin. I soaked it in distilled water overnight before I took this photo, but haven't done anything to alter it.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Bedrock of the Community
United States
41961 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2021  3:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks pretty original to me.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62926 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2021  3:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree. Shame about the scratch.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5196 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2021  3:42 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's hard to clean a Lincoln Cent and get away with it in my humble opinion. You just can't replicate that original luster.

Has anyone had any experience with a "quality" cleaning that looked authentic?

They tend to take on a pink hue.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Pillar of the Community
United States
5936 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2021  3:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks legit to me too. When roll searching, I'll come across a good number of older cents which will look BU+, and some of those are from the 70s and earlier. Your '80 could have been in back of a sock drawer for a few decades before reentering circulation just before you found it.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
16192 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2021  7:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-55RD Details . Too many issues , I would spend it .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Pillar of the Community
United States
7562 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2021  7:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It's hard to clean a Lincoln Cent and get away with it in my humble opinion. You just can't replicate that original luster.

Has anyone had any experience with a "quality" cleaning that looked authentic?

They tend to take on a pink hue.

Shhhh...Heinz 57...no kidding.

Graded afterwards by NGC as red brown (getting back into the hobby and wanted to experience the slabbing scene while researching it). Only works on some and you don't know which until you try it. I have seen amazing results to nothing happen. Obviously you do NOT have it in contact with the ketchup long (like 2 seconds at a time!). The coin will come out with a "bleached look" otherwise.
Side by side with an actual UNC., the color and luster was the same. But its been a loong time now and my cents are all packed away in safe deposit!
How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Edited by Earle42
10/14/2021 7:42 pm
Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2021  07:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Villa Rose to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to everyone for their comments. I'm adding this to other oddities which I keep in Coin Safe square tubes. I've never submitted a coin to a grading service, but I might submit this one just out of curiosity. I think I'm entitled to an ANA discount.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5936 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2021  07:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you do submit, please share the outcome with us. Thanks.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17243 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2021  01:37 am  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a normal BU cent. Definitely not worth spending the money to have it slabbed. It's worth 1 cent in this condition.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 338Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.32 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: