Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Needed In Identifying A 1692 Stag Head Token

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 233Next Topic  

Australia
5 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2021  01:23 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Landyman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I recently acquired a 1692 token but am having difficulty in identifying its origin or use. It was described as a possible mining/colliery token.
The token is made of bronze (or possibly copper), has a diameter of 27.9mm with a ///// edge. The obverse has a stag's head erased (family crest?) with bead ornamentation close to the rim. The reverse includes the 1692 date preceded by a dot and has what appear to be four acorns, the upper two with an indistinct shape between and the lower two with a star between. The reverse also has bead ornamentation.
As the token is quite worn I have included a drawing (please excuse the poor quality).
Does anyone have any ideas/clues as to the origin or use of this token?

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
695 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2021  04:47 am  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Interesting token, but sadly I can't immediately help you. I had a similar problem with a later token that had a Bear on it. Eventually tracked it down as a "Manorial token" issued by a posh household in Sussex.
I think your best approach is to research the Stag's Head motif amongst family crests around 1692 - may well be Scottish or Northern England.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10087 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2021  10:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your drawing of your token is a great likeness. I'll look around for a bit and see if I can be of any help. Neat token. Excellent presentation for inquiry and

to CCF
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10087 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2021  11:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seems the same images once appeared on simmonsgallery.co.uk
No longer found there.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Learn More...
United States
106380 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5182 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2021  3:08 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice drawings.

Better than anything I could have come up with.

Welcome to the Forum. You've come to a phenomenal place to share and learn. Explore and Enjoy.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Australia
5 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2021  8:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Landyman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for the responses - I have looked through Fairbairns Book of Crests but have not found this particular crest. The reference book lists "stag's head erased" as being used by a number of families but none seem to correspond with the correct time period (so far).
I am curious as to why it is dated - perhaps it was meant as a token limited for use during the stated year - for deer hunting / stalking? If that were true I wouldn't expect it to show so much wear. It was not listed as a detector find but it does show some corrosion. However, that doesn't explain the wear.
TNG - my token is the one from Simmons.
Learn More...
United States
21371 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2021  8:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@landy, first welcome to CCF. Second, at least according to simmons gallery, this seems to be a coal miner's tag. With that said, most of the other examples of this seem to have counterstamped numbers and a more cleanly punched hole. I recommend reaching out to Simmons as this specific piece was in their possession at one point. If nothing else, it helps to establish some provenance for you.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Australia
928 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2021  10:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hard to say without the token in front of me but I'm having trouble making a 6 from the image. Looks like 1092. Good luck...
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 233Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: