Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Rare Coin Made In Colonial New England Could Fetch $300,000

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 1,119Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community

United States
1997 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  1:56 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
https://abcnews.go.com/Weird/wireSt...000-80700809

Odd that I haven't seen this mentioned here or elsewhere. Hope the link is allowed. Graded NGC MS61. The only image I can find so far is on the auction website https://www.mortonandeden.com/

Edit: Image at BBC article
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-58982457
Edited by kbbpll
10/21/2021 2:08 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
8558 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  3:12 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That tin of old coins was nuts! The other story that has me recently giddy is the Lord Baltimore shilling that was found in a field by a metal detectorist.

BQzynr30Bf0

The coin is at Stack's/Bowers and will be in the 2021 Baltimore C4 (Colonial Club) Showcase Auction next month (November) in Baltimore.

n-RgAuYqUYg

"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
441 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  3:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, that's incredible. Brings to mind the topic from last year on the New England 3 pence that a member in The Netherlands found. We never heard any final conclusions on the authenticity of that one, though it was heavily debated on this forum for a long while.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
441 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  3:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That tin of old coins was nuts!

Can you imagine being the one opening that tin? I don't know if my heart would have survived the shock of seeing what was in there .
Pillar of the Community
United States
593 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  3:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RedRaider to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The tin that contained that coin also had TWO Continental Currency pewter dollars!!
Learn More...
United States
106572 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
8558 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The tin that contained that coin also had TWO Continental Currency pewter dollars!!

And a Libertas Americana Medal - Add on another $25K+ for that alone.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Pillar of the Community
United States
4197 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  8:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The risk of buying a rare coin is that if a hoard is found the value would likely immediately plummet. Example: 1903-O Morgan dollar.
Edited by jimbucks
10/21/2021 8:44 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3314 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting find for sure! Also made the first page of this months Greysheet as well.

Quote:
And a Libertas Americana Medal - Add on another $25K+ for that alone.

another bucket lister for me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4197 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Brings to mind the topic from last year on the New England 3 pence that a member in The Netherlands found. We never heard any final conclusions on the authenticity of that one, though it was heavily debated on this forum for a long while.

I suspect he won't be back.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1205 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2021  8:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Being the finest known 1652 shilling and the market results over the year, around the $450,000 hammer would not be far off. I'd say a bit higher if it were consigned to a more popular auction firm.
ANA member
PAN Member
BCCS Member

There are no problems only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Pillar of the Community
United States
4999 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  01:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2253 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  09:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cipster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's quite a find and the dream of so many of us.

Maybe this is a good time to share my story of finding an old tin box. My wife and I married in 1967 and worked hard to buy a tiny piece of land from a local farmer to build a very modest home. I was digging near an old crumbling New England stone wall when my shovel hit something that sounded like metal. I uncovered an old metal box and my heart started beating out of my chest. When I got it open the contents were in pristine condition. Yes, three fishing lures.
Member ANA and EAC

"You got to lose to know how to win".
Dream On by Aerosmith
Pillar of the Community
United States
1997 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  12:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Being the finest known 1652 shilling and the market results over the year, around the $450,000 hammer would not be far off. I'd say a bit higher if it were consigned to a more popular auction firm.
The AU58 Newman An AU50 example sold on HA in 2014 for $646,250 2010 for $416,875. Not sure how much the market has changed since then but it seems like for an MS61 finest known it could go higher than that. With the international news coverage on this maybe the popularity of the auction house doesn't matter so much?

Quote:
I suspect he won't be back.
I suspect we haven't heard the last word on the threepence.

Edit - HA search on New England shilling sorted by highest price put a sixpence at the top, which I didn't notice until I posted. Year/price corrected.
Edited by kbbpll
10/25/2021 2:03 pm
Valued Member
United States
161 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  5:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add newguy22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The photo the news site used for the article is absolutely astounding! At first, I thought it had been photoshopped by the writer to make for a catchier photo. I cannot imagine how someone could have all these coins in their possession and perhaps not know much about the items. Truly an astounding little hoard!

After looking at the report, I can't help but wonder how many more exceptionally rare, older coins are currently tucked away with the owners completely oblivious to their value. For European collections specifically, I feel that there may be many collections that were built in the past 200 years with some exceptional pieces that have been passed down over time to descendants who don't know much about what they possess today. It will be interesting to see what else is discovered in the coming years.

Also, too bad that this piece wasn't the same piece that was posted here on the forum. My first thought was that Larsjan's coin was the coin in the article. Hopefully we'll find an answer to that mystery soon.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1997 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2021  11:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I noticed that the auction catalogue is on their website here https://www.mortonandeden.com/ as Auction 113.
There's a blurb on the NE shilling, and other coins found in the tin are imaged and listed. If you download the (large) pdf it begins on page 85.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 1,119Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: