Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1989 Penny Die Cap, Misaigned, Or Both?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 519Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
12 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2021  3:06 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add elcahall to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Was digging through a jar full of pennies and found this interesting coin. Tried looking up what was wrong with it and found information on die caps and misaligned coins but I can't figure out which type this is, or could it be both? Would it be a valuable error?

United States
11 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2021  3:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kaufenanger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like an off center strike and
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55440 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2021  3:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is an off center cent. (not penny. Only non collectors use that term) it looks like it was above the collar during the strike. Thus the reason it was bent. Looks like a 1989 cent. Note the gray areas. That is where the plating split off the error coin. It is harder to find the newer coins with this error as they won't fit into a roll. The wrappers are supposed to sent these errors back to the mint. Thus on your coin you can see where the edge of the coin was forced into the collar. Nice error.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2021  3:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add elcahall to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would that explain the little cup it's trying to turn in to?
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2021  3:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add elcahall to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oops.. sorry about using the wrong terminology. I'm just starting to learn about coin collecting and am finding it fascinating.

Would the error give any additional value to this coin?

Also, as I go through everything (it's quite a bit), how should I store the ones I find that are unique or possibly valuable? I found a couple little round, clear plastic disk shaped boxes in with the coins but this one won't fit.

Pillar of the Community
United States
6728 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2021  3:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool off-center strike. Suggest checking ebay for info on sold off-center strike Lincoln cents--value will vary.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5314 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
42754 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2021  8:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Agreed,off center strike Lincoln cent. Put nice ones in 2x2 staple type holders and make sure to flatten the staples. Put really nice ones in Air-Tite capsules.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
21972 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2021  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@elc, first welcome to CCF. Second, that is a great coin to post. I agree that it is definitely worth saving in a 2x2. Well done!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
8170 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2021  9:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with the suggestion to check eBay's SOLD listings for an idea as to value. Off the top of my head i'd say somewhere in the $10-15 range. Nice find!
ša va bien aller

Bedrock of the Community
United States
42754 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2021  04:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
merclover,
I sent you a PM yesterday, did you receive it?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
2702 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2021  09:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice error coin.

(And this is a great example for showing that the reverse die was the hammer die.)
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups. We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5314 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2021  09:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Petespockets55:

Quote:
And this is a great example for showing that the reverse die was the hammer die.

I'm curious as to why you would say this.

If the coin was struck when it was partially outside of the collar as Coop suggests, and the coin is cupped up towards the Obverse - wouldn't this indicate that it was struck with the Obverse side facing up and then struck in the normal downward direction, thus making the Obverse die the hammer die?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55440 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2021  10:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dearborn: You are correct. Good reasoning skills. When you wonder about a coin, we need to ask: "How could this happen, then look at what could happen and why it happened that way." These are sleuth skills you need to consider. Your doing that. Good job. You an an "A" today.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
10/23/2021 10:19 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5314 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2702 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2021  9:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Dearborn and Coop for pointing that out.

My visual perception was off as to which side of this coin had the cup.
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups. We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 519Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: