Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1949 D Franklin Half Dollar With Die Cracks And One Without

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 244Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
234 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2021  11:33 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add gsp193 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Two of 11 1949 D Franklin half dollars I found roll hunting...First one has two die cracks, last two pics are one of the nicer ones with less contact marks.

Edited by gsp193
10/23/2021 02:25 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
16200 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2021  08:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please elaborate on your find . The ones you posted look uncirculated with possible FBL .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Valued Member
United States
234 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2021  10:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gsp193 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found 11 of the Franklins, all 1949 D which appear to be uncirculated but have contact marks on obverse mostly, several have FBL or if not very close, 23 1964 Kennedy half dollars and 7 40 percent in one box of Loomis rolled Halves.
Valued Member
United States
234 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2021  10:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gsp193 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a pic of them except one 40 percent I missed until the second look, but after I resized it looks all pixelated on edges...All the 1949's and 1964's are very nice and appear to be uncirculated or very lightly circulated. I dont know why the pic turned out this way was it was from my phone then resized.

Edited by gsp193
10/23/2021 11:00 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54651 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2021  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not a fan of the bell lines and the full steps ideas. Seems like they are subject to their call. When I look to see the differences, they are to iffy for me. But the grading fees to me would probably cost as much as you could get back from the coin on PCGS. High grade examples of FBL drop drastically.
1949-D FBL MS-66 $5750.00
1949-D FBL MS-65 $400.00
1949-D FBL MS-64 $120.00

Nothing listed on higher than MS-64 on the normal without the FBLs:
1949-D MS-64 $84.00 (Cost $50 for grading fees leaving a profit of $34.00 for your coin)
1949-D AU-58 $42.00 (Cost $50 for grading fees leaving a LOSS OF -8.00 for your coin)
1949-D AU-55 $35.00 (Cost $50 for grading fees leaving a LOSS OF -15.00 for your coin)
So unless you hit the jackpot on these, you would loose money if they were not a high grade coin. So the graders are the ones making the money. As a buyer, I pay nothing extra for a coin. And I still would make sure their grade is correct. So that is what you are up against. Some will look at a coin and grade it, but not consider, a nick in the coin, a scrape. That drops the value quickly. One incuse mark can turn a coin into a cull. So self grading needs to consider this as well. It tough to decide what to do. Just trying to show you the opposite side of the coin, the selling/grading issues. (Not making no offers, as the forum is not the place for this) Just helping you to consider this.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
234 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2021  12:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gsp193 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thankyou Coop for all the information, I was just happy to finally find something, I did not even know what these were...Bumpkin gave me some info and I researched them when I found them. I think they are beautiful coins and are just going into my collection and very happy to have them. This is one of the nicest ones, all seem to be uncirculated but others have more contact marks, again thankyou for looking and sharing your knowledge! I really do appreciate it!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54651 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2021  12:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sometimes for type sets, people are looking for nice coins for these collections. But probably not many today collect full sets of these half dollars. (that would be pricey for a BU set)
1950-D I've had for years. (scan affect the image)

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
234 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2021  12:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gsp193 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow thats nice! Yes I can see where it would be very pricey!
Valued Member
United States
416 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2021  12:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bumpkin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those are some beautiful Halves there gsp! Especially for finding in the wild.
Valued Member
United States
234 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2021  12:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gsp193 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thankyou Bumpkin! Yes I am extremely thankful for them! Glad they were not tokens like I originally thought!! haha
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 244Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: